Jun 23, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
I think everyone and their mother and their mother’s mother knew the Jack Adams trophy for coach of the year was going to go to Phoenix’s Dave Tippett. After all, he came in at the last minute for a team that wasn’t sure if they’re were going to stick together or not and if they’d even stay in Phoenix. All Tippett did was get the Coyotes to the playoffs and the fourth seed in the Western Conference.
That said, the only controversy that really existed with the vote was that Tippett didn’t win it unanimously. So who stole first place votes from Dave Tippett? Coyotes fans aren’t going to like it very much.
1. Dave Tippett, PHX 291 (57-2-0)
2. Barry Trotz, NSH 60 (0-17-9)
3. Joe Sacco, COL 51 (0-14-9)
4. Mike Babcock, DET 38 (2-7-7)
5. Terry Murray, L.A. 26 (0-5-11)
6. Cory Clouston, OTT 21 (0-6-3)
7. Lindy Ruff, BUF 13 (0-2-7)
8. Joel Quenneville, CHI 10 (0-2-4)
9. Alain Vigneault, VAN 7 (0-2-1)
10. Bruce Boudreau, WSH 7 (0-1-4)
11. Jacques Lemaire, N.J. 4 (0-1-1)
12. Dan Bylsma, PIT 1 (0-0-1)
Claude Julien, BOS 1 (0-0-1)
Paul Maurice, CAR 1 (0-0-1)
Of the 59 first place votes that went out, 57 went to Tippett and the other two went to Detroit’s Mike Babcock. I’m sure this will cause some gnashing of teeth in Phoenix but let’s look at it this way, this was an absolute romp in the vote so there’s really nothing to actually be angry about but we know how fans can be and rest assured, there’ll be a witch hunt to find out who voted for Babcock.
In the meantime, let’s just give credit where credit is due here. Dave Tippett did a killer job with the Coyotes and proved to be the person they needed all along there to help do something good for a franchise that most desperately needed it.
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 4
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21