Jun 23, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
I think everyone and their mother and their mother’s mother knew the Jack Adams trophy for coach of the year was going to go to Phoenix’s Dave Tippett. After all, he came in at the last minute for a team that wasn’t sure if they’re were going to stick together or not and if they’d even stay in Phoenix. All Tippett did was get the Coyotes to the playoffs and the fourth seed in the Western Conference.
That said, the only controversy that really existed with the vote was that Tippett didn’t win it unanimously. So who stole first place votes from Dave Tippett? Coyotes fans aren’t going to like it very much.
1. Dave Tippett, PHX 291 (57-2-0)
2. Barry Trotz, NSH 60 (0-17-9)
3. Joe Sacco, COL 51 (0-14-9)
4. Mike Babcock, DET 38 (2-7-7)
5. Terry Murray, L.A. 26 (0-5-11)
6. Cory Clouston, OTT 21 (0-6-3)
7. Lindy Ruff, BUF 13 (0-2-7)
8. Joel Quenneville, CHI 10 (0-2-4)
9. Alain Vigneault, VAN 7 (0-2-1)
10. Bruce Boudreau, WSH 7 (0-1-4)
11. Jacques Lemaire, N.J. 4 (0-1-1)
12. Dan Bylsma, PIT 1 (0-0-1)
Claude Julien, BOS 1 (0-0-1)
Paul Maurice, CAR 1 (0-0-1)
Of the 59 first place votes that went out, 57 went to Tippett and the other two went to Detroit’s Mike Babcock. I’m sure this will cause some gnashing of teeth in Phoenix but let’s look at it this way, this was an absolute romp in the vote so there’s really nothing to actually be angry about but we know how fans can be and rest assured, there’ll be a witch hunt to find out who voted for Babcock.
In the meantime, let’s just give credit where credit is due here. Dave Tippett did a killer job with the Coyotes and proved to be the person they needed all along there to help do something good for a franchise that most desperately needed it.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54