Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Bearing a new name, the former Pearson Trophy now the Ted Lindsay Award, the most valuable player as voted on by your peers is starting to get a bit familiar in who wins it. Alexander Ovechkin was voted the MVP by the players for the third consecutive year and the NHLPA was more than happy to share the news with everyone.
“I’d like to congratulate Alex Ovechkin on receiving this award after another great year. Receiving this nod of respect from your peers carries a lot of meaning, and I know Alex will cherish this honour,” said Lindsay, following the presentation of the first Ted Lindsay Award.
Obviously the award carries a bit more significance to it now that it bears the name of a player who fought hard to make sure other players weren’t railroaded by the owners and that future players wouldn’t have to deal with the issues they faced in their years of playing before the players union came along. For Ovechkin, this stands out that his peers think rather highly of him although I would be very curious to see how the voting results turned out for this award rather than having to rely on player surveys that come out periodically each year to tell us what some of the players think.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)