Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Bearing a new name, the former Pearson Trophy now the Ted Lindsay Award, the most valuable player as voted on by your peers is starting to get a bit familiar in who wins it. Alexander Ovechkin was voted the MVP by the players for the third consecutive year and the NHLPA was more than happy to share the news with everyone.
“I’d like to congratulate Alex Ovechkin on receiving this award after another great year. Receiving this nod of respect from your peers carries a lot of meaning, and I know Alex will cherish this honour,” said Lindsay, following the presentation of the first Ted Lindsay Award.
Obviously the award carries a bit more significance to it now that it bears the name of a player who fought hard to make sure other players weren’t railroaded by the owners and that future players wouldn’t have to deal with the issues they faced in their years of playing before the players union came along. For Ovechkin, this stands out that his peers think rather highly of him although I would be very curious to see how the voting results turned out for this award rather than having to rely on player surveys that come out periodically each year to tell us what some of the players think.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)