Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 PM EST
Bearing a new name, the former Pearson Trophy now the Ted Lindsay Award, the most valuable player as voted on by your peers is starting to get a bit familiar in who wins it. Alexander Ovechkin was voted the MVP by the players for the third consecutive year and the NHLPA was more than happy to share the news with everyone.
“I’d like to congratulate Alex Ovechkin on receiving this award after another great year. Receiving this nod of respect from your peers carries a lot of meaning, and I know Alex will cherish this honour,” said Lindsay, following the presentation of the first Ted Lindsay Award.
Obviously the award carries a bit more significance to it now that it bears the name of a player who fought hard to make sure other players weren’t railroaded by the owners and that future players wouldn’t have to deal with the issues they faced in their years of playing before the players union came along. For Ovechkin, this stands out that his peers think rather highly of him although I would be very curious to see how the voting results turned out for this award rather than having to rely on player surveys that come out periodically each year to tell us what some of the players think.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)