Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Bearing a new name, the former Pearson Trophy now the Ted Lindsay Award, the most valuable player as voted on by your peers is starting to get a bit familiar in who wins it. Alexander Ovechkin was voted the MVP by the players for the third consecutive year and the NHLPA was more than happy to share the news with everyone.
“I’d like to congratulate Alex Ovechkin on receiving this award after another great year. Receiving this nod of respect from your peers carries a lot of meaning, and I know Alex will cherish this honour,” said Lindsay, following the presentation of the first Ted Lindsay Award.
Obviously the award carries a bit more significance to it now that it bears the name of a player who fought hard to make sure other players weren’t railroaded by the owners and that future players wouldn’t have to deal with the issues they faced in their years of playing before the players union came along. For Ovechkin, this stands out that his peers think rather highly of him although I would be very curious to see how the voting results turned out for this award rather than having to rely on player surveys that come out periodically each year to tell us what some of the players think.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 2
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)