Jun 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is hoping to receive his third straight Hart Trophy tonight at the NHL Awards in Las Vegas. The two players standing in his way are Art Ross Trophy winner Henrik Sedin and Maurice Richard Trophy co-winner Sidney Crosby.
Ovechkin would be the third player in NHL history to win the trophy three times in a row. Bobby Orr won three in a row from the 1969-70 season to the 71-72 campaign while Wayne Gretzky won a staggering eight straight from 79-80 to 86-87. There have been quite a few players who won two in a row, but hitting the three-peat is an accomplishment even greats such as Gordie Howe, Richard and Mario Lemieux couldn’t match.
Ultimately, it all comes down to how people feel about Alex Ovechkin. Back around the end of the 2009-10 season, PHT made a “case” for all three candidates. Click on the links below to take a look at each player’s argument.
(For the record, Ovechkin dominated the MVP voting among PHT readers.)
We’ve determined which player readers thought should win, but who do you think will actually end up with the award? Keep in mind the fact that postseason play doesn’t factor into Hart Trophy voting. Should Ovechkin join Orr and Gretzky in the three-peat club?
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 6
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)