Jun 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is hoping to receive his third straight Hart Trophy tonight at the NHL Awards in Las Vegas. The two players standing in his way are Art Ross Trophy winner Henrik Sedin and Maurice Richard Trophy co-winner Sidney Crosby.
Ovechkin would be the third player in NHL history to win the trophy three times in a row. Bobby Orr won three in a row from the 1969-70 season to the 71-72 campaign while Wayne Gretzky won a staggering eight straight from 79-80 to 86-87. There have been quite a few players who won two in a row, but hitting the three-peat is an accomplishment even greats such as Gordie Howe, Richard and Mario Lemieux couldn’t match.
Ultimately, it all comes down to how people feel about Alex Ovechkin. Back around the end of the 2009-10 season, PHT made a “case” for all three candidates. Click on the links below to take a look at each player’s argument.
(For the record, Ovechkin dominated the MVP voting among PHT readers.)
We’ve determined which player readers thought should win, but who do you think will actually end up with the award? Keep in mind the fact that postseason play doesn’t factor into Hart Trophy voting. Should Ovechkin join Orr and Gretzky in the three-peat club?
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 1
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 78
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1