Jun 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is hoping to receive his third straight Hart Trophy tonight at the NHL Awards in Las Vegas. The two players standing in his way are Art Ross Trophy winner Henrik Sedin and Maurice Richard Trophy co-winner Sidney Crosby.
Ovechkin would be the third player in NHL history to win the trophy three times in a row. Bobby Orr won three in a row from the 1969-70 season to the 71-72 campaign while Wayne Gretzky won a staggering eight straight from 79-80 to 86-87. There have been quite a few players who won two in a row, but hitting the three-peat is an accomplishment even greats such as Gordie Howe, Richard and Mario Lemieux couldn’t match.
Ultimately, it all comes down to how people feel about Alex Ovechkin. Back around the end of the 2009-10 season, PHT made a “case” for all three candidates. Click on the links below to take a look at each player’s argument.
(For the record, Ovechkin dominated the MVP voting among PHT readers.)
We’ve determined which player readers thought should win, but who do you think will actually end up with the award? Keep in mind the fact that postseason play doesn’t factor into Hart Trophy voting. Should Ovechkin join Orr and Gretzky in the three-peat club?
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)