Jun 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is hoping to receive his third straight Hart Trophy tonight at the NHL Awards in Las Vegas. The two players standing in his way are Art Ross Trophy winner Henrik Sedin and Maurice Richard Trophy co-winner Sidney Crosby.
Ovechkin would be the third player in NHL history to win the trophy three times in a row. Bobby Orr won three in a row from the 1969-70 season to the 71-72 campaign while Wayne Gretzky won a staggering eight straight from 79-80 to 86-87. There have been quite a few players who won two in a row, but hitting the three-peat is an accomplishment even greats such as Gordie Howe, Richard and Mario Lemieux couldn’t match.
Ultimately, it all comes down to how people feel about Alex Ovechkin. Back around the end of the 2009-10 season, PHT made a “case” for all three candidates. Click on the links below to take a look at each player’s argument.
(For the record, Ovechkin dominated the MVP voting among PHT readers.)
We’ve determined which player readers thought should win, but who do you think will actually end up with the award? Keep in mind the fact that postseason play doesn’t factor into Hart Trophy voting. Should Ovechkin join Orr and Gretzky in the three-peat club?
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)