Jun 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is hoping to receive his third straight Hart Trophy tonight at the NHL Awards in Las Vegas. The two players standing in his way are Art Ross Trophy winner Henrik Sedin and Maurice Richard Trophy co-winner Sidney Crosby.
Ovechkin would be the third player in NHL history to win the trophy three times in a row. Bobby Orr won three in a row from the 1969-70 season to the 71-72 campaign while Wayne Gretzky won a staggering eight straight from 79-80 to 86-87. There have been quite a few players who won two in a row, but hitting the three-peat is an accomplishment even greats such as Gordie Howe, Richard and Mario Lemieux couldn’t match.
Ultimately, it all comes down to how people feel about Alex Ovechkin. Back around the end of the 2009-10 season, PHT made a “case” for all three candidates. Click on the links below to take a look at each player’s argument.
(For the record, Ovechkin dominated the MVP voting among PHT readers.)
We’ve determined which player readers thought should win, but who do you think will actually end up with the award? Keep in mind the fact that postseason play doesn’t factor into Hart Trophy voting. Should Ovechkin join Orr and Gretzky in the three-peat club?
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (89)