Jun 22, 2010, 1:05 PM EST
It seems like every summer people complain about humidity, get bad farmer tans and wonder if Scott Niedermayer will retire. If Orange County Register reporter Eric Stephens is correct, the talented defenseman is expected to announce his retirement today.
I must admit that I had little clue that Niedermayer was leaning toward hanging up his skates. Sure, he seemed to lose a step or two on the offensive end (dropping to 48 points in 09-10 after scoring an impressive 59 during the 08-09 season), but he still logged more than 26 minutes per game for the Anaheim Ducks.
While it wouldn’t have stunned me if he left Anaheim – especially to play with his brother Rob in New Jersey – I’m a little surprised he’s probably going to retire. Then again, the man once known as “Lightningbeard” (because of his magnificently mixed salt-and-pepper playoff beard) has been mulling it over for years.
With 740 points in 1263 career regular season games plus four Stanley Cups, one Norris Trophy, one Conn Smythe and five All-Star appearances, it’s not as if Niedermayer has much to prove. That being said, he could still garner a nice paycheck with his smooth skating and veteran presence.
We’ll let you know if he makes it official, but it sounds like the end is near for a near-certain future Hall of Famer.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)