Jun 22, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
Details are very scarce right now, but TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Florida Panthers forward Nathan Horton has been traded to the Boston Bruins. Dreger states that Horton and another Florida Panthers player are rumored to be going to Beantown for a single Boston Bruins player.
We’ll update you on who that it is once we know, but let’s focus on Horton for a moment.
As the No. 3 pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, many would peg Nathan Horton as disappointment. I’m not sure if “bust” is totally fair, but it’s reasonable to say that he has fallen short of expectations so far in his career. He’s hit his career high in points scored (62) in both the 06-07 and 07-08 seasons and peaked at 31 goals in that 06-07 campaign.
There are some bright spots with Horton, though. While his scouting report indicates that he struggles at center, the Bruins would most likely play him in his more comfortable position as a right wing. He also brings three very promising factors to the table: youth (only 25 years old), size (6-2, almost 230 lbs.) and a reasonable cap hit ($4 million per year through 2012-13).
Again, this trade cannot be truly analyzed until we find out who was ultimately involved. My guess (wild one at that) is that Boston decided to move a center for Horton since they might end up with coveted rookie-to-be pivot Tyler Seguin. We’ll find out soon enough (and so will you).
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 7
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 20
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11