Jun 22, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
Details are very scarce right now, but TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Florida Panthers forward Nathan Horton has been traded to the Boston Bruins. Dreger states that Horton and another Florida Panthers player are rumored to be going to Beantown for a single Boston Bruins player.
We’ll update you on who that it is once we know, but let’s focus on Horton for a moment.
As the No. 3 pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, many would peg Nathan Horton as disappointment. I’m not sure if “bust” is totally fair, but it’s reasonable to say that he has fallen short of expectations so far in his career. He’s hit his career high in points scored (62) in both the 06-07 and 07-08 seasons and peaked at 31 goals in that 06-07 campaign.
There are some bright spots with Horton, though. While his scouting report indicates that he struggles at center, the Bruins would most likely play him in his more comfortable position as a right wing. He also brings three very promising factors to the table: youth (only 25 years old), size (6-2, almost 230 lbs.) and a reasonable cap hit ($4 million per year through 2012-13).
Again, this trade cannot be truly analyzed until we find out who was ultimately involved. My guess (wild one at that) is that Boston decided to move a center for Horton since they might end up with coveted rookie-to-be pivot Tyler Seguin. We’ll find out soon enough (and so will you).
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)