Jun 22, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
Details are very scarce right now, but TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Florida Panthers forward Nathan Horton has been traded to the Boston Bruins. Dreger states that Horton and another Florida Panthers player are rumored to be going to Beantown for a single Boston Bruins player.
We’ll update you on who that it is once we know, but let’s focus on Horton for a moment.
As the No. 3 pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, many would peg Nathan Horton as disappointment. I’m not sure if “bust” is totally fair, but it’s reasonable to say that he has fallen short of expectations so far in his career. He’s hit his career high in points scored (62) in both the 06-07 and 07-08 seasons and peaked at 31 goals in that 06-07 campaign.
There are some bright spots with Horton, though. While his scouting report indicates that he struggles at center, the Bruins would most likely play him in his more comfortable position as a right wing. He also brings three very promising factors to the table: youth (only 25 years old), size (6-2, almost 230 lbs.) and a reasonable cap hit ($4 million per year through 2012-13).
Again, this trade cannot be truly analyzed until we find out who was ultimately involved. My guess (wild one at that) is that Boston decided to move a center for Horton since they might end up with coveted rookie-to-be pivot Tyler Seguin. We’ll find out soon enough (and so will you).
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)