Poll: Who received the biggest Hall of Fame 'snub'?

Jun 22, 2010, 4:45 PM EST

Thumbnail image for niewyflames.jpgHall of Fame voting is mostly amusing in just about every sport. It reminds me of when people become incensed about Undeserving Player X getting into an All-Star starting lineup thanks to fan voting; at that moment in time, it’s an enormous deal yet … how many people really watch the game itself with anything but faint interest? The same goes for Hall of Fame speeches. Most of the time, it’s like witnessing the growth of grass, aside from the occasional Michael Jordan-style gripe festival.

Really, as long as deserving candidates eventually get in – whether it’s this year or far down the line – does it really matter? I guess that’s another debate entirely.

Still, there are plenty of people who are bitter or befuddled. Why didn’t My Childhood Icon make it? That guy smiled at me once … I think … when he stepped off the ice 10 years ago! So on and so forth.

For those reasons – along with my abundant curiosity – I thought I’d ask, which non-inductee qualifies as the “biggest snub?” Vote below. Please note that you can write in your own candidate, in case you feel someone else was more deserving than the choices provided.

1. comeonnj - Jun 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

everyone that voted for lindros…. WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING!!!!!!!

2. tk - Jun 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I voted for other – Anyone but Eric “Over-rated mama’s boy” Lindros

3. TH - Jun 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Not voting Pat Burns into the HHOF was not only the biggest snub, but also the most heartless!

4. Doug - Jun 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Didn’t Lindros crash his Snowmobile while being Drunk. Today’s Hero’s may be held to a higher standard then in the past. It’s unfortunate that many players face this type of judgment. Personally I feel they should only be judged on there performance on the ice. If they deserve it give it to them . On a different note Could a player include a Hall of Fame clause in there contract. If they retire and get inducted as a member of a particular team they receive a HOF bonus . Its just a thought. How do they pick what jersey to honor when inducted into the hall. Is money a factor in the decision ?? Sorry for going off topic.

5. Adam - Jun 23, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Pavel Bure. He was scoring goals when the trap was at it’s peak, and doing it at a rate far above what anyone else was at. One of those rare pure goal scorers during the late 90s-early 00s, and would of had a far greater career if he stayed healthy. his goal scoring years of 99-00 and 00-01 are comparable to pedro martinez’s ERAs during the same years during the peak of the home run era. 58 goals in 99 for first place; second place at 44. 59 in 00 for first place; second place at 54. not to mention back to back 60 goal seasons in the mid 90s.

6. Fecteau - Jun 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Thank you! He had a few good seasons and he was a crybaby! The NHL HOF doesn’t need crybabies, unless we devote a new wing. What, are they going to tear down some of the mall that the HOF is in? Doubt it!
    Every other player on that list is HOF worthy.
    Bure was a goal scoring freak. Although it wasn’t as pretty as Ovechkin’s goals, he scored as much if not more some seasons.
    Andreychuk played very well for several teams and on point scoring alone he should make it
    Pat Burns was a great coach. Nuff said!
    Doug Gilmour was a fairly complete player and I’m surprised he’s STILL not in the HOF.
    Lindros? Good #’s in the beginning, fell off after a while, was a prima donna, had many issues, and isn’t a sure fire HOF’er. Very good player? Yes. HOF? Nay Nay!
    I consider Joe Nieuwendyk similarly to Doug Gilmour. most definitely deserves to be in the HOF
    Adam Oates should be too. As Jame O’Brien said, hopefully they all (save for Lindros) end up making it.
    What about Alexander Mogilny? I don’t hear about him… Hopefully in the near future we can see these names on the list…
    Scott Neidermayer, Peter Forsberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, most likely Teemu Selanne don’t hate me if I forgot someone that has retired in the last two years or looks like they will Brodeur?

7. Anonymous - Jun 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Doug,
    No disrespect, but I don’t think that giving a player a bonus for making the Hall of Fame makes any sense…
    For one, most players end up playing for more than one team. Like Paul Coffey, he’d have had payments from 8-9 teams, so its not feasible in that regard. Also, the HOF voting is done by biased sports writers. Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, and Barry Bonds, who certainly has the #’s to be voted into the HOF, most likely won’t ever make it as the writers don’t tend to like lying cheaters.You can’t put a bonus based on writer’s bias.
    I feel you’re only arguement FOR this is as follows…For a guy like Mike Modano, who’s been with one franchise, maybe a team could give him a bit of royalty if he’s inducted with their jersey as advertisement is the only way I can see it feasible.
    You should focus more on what the player does for each individual team for each individual year. Many contracts now have performance incentives, as if a player reaches 40 goals or 100 points they get a bonus. It makes sense, but giving someone money for making the HOF doesn’t make sense. Many awards, which were given out last night have a cash value along with your nameplate on the trophy.

8. Fecteau - Jun 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM

sorry I made that last comment but forgot to add my name…

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches