Jun 22, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Pat Quinn decided today to leave his post as the Edmonton Oilers head coach, handing over the job to assistant coach – and former New York Rangers head coach – Tom Renney. Quinn will work in an “advisory” role going forward, reports TSN.
This isn’t particularly shocking news, really. At the far-from-tender age of 67, Quinn seems far too old to labor through the rebuilding process in Edmonton. Rather than dealing with the growing pains of coaching an inexperienced club, he could provide wisdom in a less stressful position.
Quinn coached in an astounding 1400 games over 15 seasons, winning two Jack Adams Awards and amassing a 684-528-154-34 record behind the bench. Quinn spent time as the Oilers, Maple Leafs, Canucks, Kings and Flyers head coach.
Don’t make any mistake about it, the Oilers have a chance to turn things around (although that process could take a little while). They’re expected to draft high-scoring winger Taylor Hall with the No. 1 pick Friday and also have some nice assets in their farm system, particularly Jordan Eberle. The team still hopes to get a new arena, but on the ice, there should be a light at the end of the tunnel feeling in Edmonton.
Renney has coaching experience with two teams (two seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, five with the New York Rangers). His career record is 203-170-9-46 with three playoff trips, including two showings in the second round with the Rangers.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)