Jun 22, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Pat Quinn decided today to leave his post as the Edmonton Oilers head coach, handing over the job to assistant coach – and former New York Rangers head coach – Tom Renney. Quinn will work in an “advisory” role going forward, reports TSN.
This isn’t particularly shocking news, really. At the far-from-tender age of 67, Quinn seems far too old to labor through the rebuilding process in Edmonton. Rather than dealing with the growing pains of coaching an inexperienced club, he could provide wisdom in a less stressful position.
Quinn coached in an astounding 1400 games over 15 seasons, winning two Jack Adams Awards and amassing a 684-528-154-34 record behind the bench. Quinn spent time as the Oilers, Maple Leafs, Canucks, Kings and Flyers head coach.
Don’t make any mistake about it, the Oilers have a chance to turn things around (although that process could take a little while). They’re expected to draft high-scoring winger Taylor Hall with the No. 1 pick Friday and also have some nice assets in their farm system, particularly Jordan Eberle. The team still hopes to get a new arena, but on the ice, there should be a light at the end of the tunnel feeling in Edmonton.
Renney has coaching experience with two teams (two seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, five with the New York Rangers). His career record is 203-170-9-46 with three playoff trips, including two showings in the second round with the Rangers.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)