Jun 22, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Pat Quinn decided today to leave his post as the Edmonton Oilers head coach, handing over the job to assistant coach – and former New York Rangers head coach – Tom Renney. Quinn will work in an “advisory” role going forward, reports TSN.
This isn’t particularly shocking news, really. At the far-from-tender age of 67, Quinn seems far too old to labor through the rebuilding process in Edmonton. Rather than dealing with the growing pains of coaching an inexperienced club, he could provide wisdom in a less stressful position.
Quinn coached in an astounding 1400 games over 15 seasons, winning two Jack Adams Awards and amassing a 684-528-154-34 record behind the bench. Quinn spent time as the Oilers, Maple Leafs, Canucks, Kings and Flyers head coach.
Don’t make any mistake about it, the Oilers have a chance to turn things around (although that process could take a little while). They’re expected to draft high-scoring winger Taylor Hall with the No. 1 pick Friday and also have some nice assets in their farm system, particularly Jordan Eberle. The team still hopes to get a new arena, but on the ice, there should be a light at the end of the tunnel feeling in Edmonton.
Renney has coaching experience with two teams (two seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, five with the New York Rangers). His career record is 203-170-9-46 with three playoff trips, including two showings in the second round with the Rangers.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)