Jun 22, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Pat Quinn decided today to leave his post as the Edmonton Oilers head coach, handing over the job to assistant coach – and former New York Rangers head coach – Tom Renney. Quinn will work in an “advisory” role going forward, reports TSN.
This isn’t particularly shocking news, really. At the far-from-tender age of 67, Quinn seems far too old to labor through the rebuilding process in Edmonton. Rather than dealing with the growing pains of coaching an inexperienced club, he could provide wisdom in a less stressful position.
Quinn coached in an astounding 1400 games over 15 seasons, winning two Jack Adams Awards and amassing a 684-528-154-34 record behind the bench. Quinn spent time as the Oilers, Maple Leafs, Canucks, Kings and Flyers head coach.
Don’t make any mistake about it, the Oilers have a chance to turn things around (although that process could take a little while). They’re expected to draft high-scoring winger Taylor Hall with the No. 1 pick Friday and also have some nice assets in their farm system, particularly Jordan Eberle. The team still hopes to get a new arena, but on the ice, there should be a light at the end of the tunnel feeling in Edmonton.
Renney has coaching experience with two teams (two seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, five with the New York Rangers). His career record is 203-170-9-46 with three playoff trips, including two showings in the second round with the Rangers.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 5
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)