Jun 22, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Pat Quinn decided today to leave his post as the Edmonton Oilers head coach, handing over the job to assistant coach – and former New York Rangers head coach – Tom Renney. Quinn will work in an “advisory” role going forward, reports TSN.
This isn’t particularly shocking news, really. At the far-from-tender age of 67, Quinn seems far too old to labor through the rebuilding process in Edmonton. Rather than dealing with the growing pains of coaching an inexperienced club, he could provide wisdom in a less stressful position.
Quinn coached in an astounding 1400 games over 15 seasons, winning two Jack Adams Awards and amassing a 684-528-154-34 record behind the bench. Quinn spent time as the Oilers, Maple Leafs, Canucks, Kings and Flyers head coach.
Don’t make any mistake about it, the Oilers have a chance to turn things around (although that process could take a little while). They’re expected to draft high-scoring winger Taylor Hall with the No. 1 pick Friday and also have some nice assets in their farm system, particularly Jordan Eberle. The team still hopes to get a new arena, but on the ice, there should be a light at the end of the tunnel feeling in Edmonton.
Renney has coaching experience with two teams (two seasons with the Vancouver Canucks, five with the New York Rangers). His career record is 203-170-9-46 with three playoff trips, including two showings in the second round with the Rangers.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)