Jun 22, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
For hockey road trippers and fans of the sport in general, today is a big day; the 2010-11 regular season schedule was just released by the NHL.
Let me give you the most important links. The first three are all PDF files, so expect a slight delay if you don’t have an amazing Internet connection.
I’m going to hand-pick some of the most noteworthy games, but NHL.com spotlighted a few important dates themselves.
- October 7, 2010 is opening day. Four games will be played on this day, including the first-ever regular season game for the Pittsburgh Penguins at their new home, the Consol Energy Center.
- Oct. 7-10, NHL Premiere
For the fourth straight season, the NHL regular-season will launch in Europe. This time the contingent is six teams, as Carolina and Minnesota play twice in Helsinki, Finland (Oct. 7 & 8), Columbus and San Jose will face off for two games in Stockholm, Sweden (Oct. 8 & 9), and Boston and Phoenix clash twice in Prague, Czech Republic (Oct. 9 & 10).
- October 9, 2010 – the Chicago Blackhawks host the Detroit Red Wings and raise their Stanley Cup banner.
- January 1, 2011 – the Bridgestone Winter Classic takes place.
- January 30, 2011 – the NHL All-Star Game
- February 12, 2011 – Hockey Day in Canada
- April 10, 2011 – final day of the regular season
- April 13, 2011 – the playoffs begin
More schedule analysis coming soon.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)