Jun 22, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
For hockey road trippers and fans of the sport in general, today is a big day; the 2010-11 regular season schedule was just released by the NHL.
Let me give you the most important links. The first three are all PDF files, so expect a slight delay if you don’t have an amazing Internet connection.
I’m going to hand-pick some of the most noteworthy games, but NHL.com spotlighted a few important dates themselves.
- October 7, 2010 is opening day. Four games will be played on this day, including the first-ever regular season game for the Pittsburgh Penguins at their new home, the Consol Energy Center.
- Oct. 7-10, NHL Premiere
For the fourth straight season, the NHL regular-season will launch in Europe. This time the contingent is six teams, as Carolina and Minnesota play twice in Helsinki, Finland (Oct. 7 & 8), Columbus and San Jose will face off for two games in Stockholm, Sweden (Oct. 8 & 9), and Boston and Phoenix clash twice in Prague, Czech Republic (Oct. 9 & 10).
- October 9, 2010 – the Chicago Blackhawks host the Detroit Red Wings and raise their Stanley Cup banner.
- January 1, 2011 – the Bridgestone Winter Classic takes place.
- January 30, 2011 – the NHL All-Star Game
- February 12, 2011 – Hockey Day in Canada
- April 10, 2011 – final day of the regular season
- April 13, 2011 – the playoffs begin
More schedule analysis coming soon.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)