Jun 21, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Brandon Worley’s picks:
1. Joe Nieuwendyk
2. Doug Gilmour
3. Dave Andreychuk
4. Tom Barrasso
This was a tough one, actually, when you consider who I’d like to see voted in this year. The final spot came down to Barrasso, Adam Oates and Dino Ciccarelli. In the end, it comes down to Barrasso who should have already made it into the HOF. Tough to leave out guys like Oates and Ciccarelli, though.
Joe Yerdon’s picks:
My heart ballot says: Adam Oates, Dino Ciccarelli, Doug Gilmour and Joe Nieuwendyk.
My head ballot, and the one that I figure will more likely be the one announced: Joe Nieuwendyk, Dave Andreychuk and that’s it.
Nieuwendyk is an automatic pick, his resume is too good. Andreychuk was rumored to be the guy left on the outside of last year’s great class and if the rumor holds out, he’ll certainly get in now. I’ve rallied for Oates, Ciccarelli and Gilmour so much (Oates especially) that I’ve got their numbers memorized. They all deserve to get in and it’s ridiculous (and in some cases quite petty) that this drags on. Hopefully the voters prove me to be wrong somehow.
James O’Brien’s picks:
Joe Nieuwendyk, Adam Oates, Doug Gilmour, Eric Lindros
Tough omissions: Pavel Bure, Pat Burns
I was ready to pick Bure and Lindros and echo my “quality over quantity” arguments, but Gilmour’s playoff numbers put him over the top. 188 points in 182 postseason games just screams “Hall of Fame” to me. Yes, I made a pro-Hall of Fame argument for Bure (and Lindros); I think Bure should be inducted soon, just not in 2010. The leader of the “Legion of Doom” line won’t win any popularity contests, but sports aren’t dominated by wall flowers alone. Lindros was a special player, whether you like(d) him or not.
Unanimous (three votes): Nieuwendyk, Gilmour
Two votes: Oates
One vote: Andreychuk, Barrasso, Ciccarelli, Lindros
(Coming soon: 10 hockey bloggers weigh in with their ballots.)
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)