Jun 21, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Brandon Worley’s picks:
1. Joe Nieuwendyk
2. Doug Gilmour
3. Dave Andreychuk
4. Tom Barrasso
This was a tough one, actually, when you consider who I’d like to see voted in this year. The final spot came down to Barrasso, Adam Oates and Dino Ciccarelli. In the end, it comes down to Barrasso who should have already made it into the HOF. Tough to leave out guys like Oates and Ciccarelli, though.
Joe Yerdon’s picks:
My heart ballot says: Adam Oates, Dino Ciccarelli, Doug Gilmour and Joe Nieuwendyk.
My head ballot, and the one that I figure will more likely be the one announced: Joe Nieuwendyk, Dave Andreychuk and that’s it.
Nieuwendyk is an automatic pick, his resume is too good. Andreychuk was rumored to be the guy left on the outside of last year’s great class and if the rumor holds out, he’ll certainly get in now. I’ve rallied for Oates, Ciccarelli and Gilmour so much (Oates especially) that I’ve got their numbers memorized. They all deserve to get in and it’s ridiculous (and in some cases quite petty) that this drags on. Hopefully the voters prove me to be wrong somehow.
James O’Brien’s picks:
Joe Nieuwendyk, Adam Oates, Doug Gilmour, Eric Lindros
Tough omissions: Pavel Bure, Pat Burns
I was ready to pick Bure and Lindros and echo my “quality over quantity” arguments, but Gilmour’s playoff numbers put him over the top. 188 points in 182 postseason games just screams “Hall of Fame” to me. Yes, I made a pro-Hall of Fame argument for Bure (and Lindros); I think Bure should be inducted soon, just not in 2010. The leader of the “Legion of Doom” line won’t win any popularity contests, but sports aren’t dominated by wall flowers alone. Lindros was a special player, whether you like(d) him or not.
Unanimous (three votes): Nieuwendyk, Gilmour
Two votes: Oates
One vote: Andreychuk, Barrasso, Ciccarelli, Lindros
(Coming soon: 10 hockey bloggers weigh in with their ballots.)
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)