Jun 21, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators face another summer of trade/free agency rumors and there seems to be a little fire to go with the smoke.
TSN reports that Senators GM Bryan Murray confirmed that while Jason Spezza didn’t go out of his way to request a trade, he wouldn’t “object” to one either. That’s like two horny teenagers saying they wouldn’t mind seeing each other naked.
Ottawa Senators centre Jason Spezza ‘wouldn’t object’ to a trade if it happened, general manager Bryan Murray told reporters on Monday.
“He said he wouldn’t object to it,” Murray said. “He didn’t come in and say, ‘I have to be traded.’ He didn’t object to the fact that maybe it’s time – the way (he’s) been received – now maybe it’s time.”
Spezza has been the subject of trade rumours and speculation after the Senators since the team was elimiated in the first round of the playoffs. Adding more intrigue was a small fan rally on Parliament Hill over the weekend urging the Murray to keep the club’s No. 1 centre.
The story refers to the sparsely attended “Save Spezza” rally. It seems like even when Senators fans try to show their support for the disgruntled playmaking center, it ultimately comes off as a backhanded compliment. Personally, I enjoy watching him play, but considering his $7.5 million cap hit, it’s easy to understand why fans get frustrated with his lack of defensive commitment and abundant turnovers.
Murray also confirmed rumors that shot-blocking defenseman Anton Volchenkov is expected to depart the team via unrestricted free agency. Earlier this summer, I heard that the Capitals could be potential suitors; really, I think any team that needs a rugged, second-tier shutdown guy would greatly benefit from adding Volchenkov.
Expect all kinds of news this week as the NHL awards, Hall of Fame inductions and NHL Draft take place. We’ll keep you up-to-date every day, so say tuned.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21