Jun 21, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators face another summer of trade/free agency rumors and there seems to be a little fire to go with the smoke.
TSN reports that Senators GM Bryan Murray confirmed that while Jason Spezza didn’t go out of his way to request a trade, he wouldn’t “object” to one either. That’s like two horny teenagers saying they wouldn’t mind seeing each other naked.
Ottawa Senators centre Jason Spezza ‘wouldn’t object’ to a trade if it happened, general manager Bryan Murray told reporters on Monday.
“He said he wouldn’t object to it,” Murray said. “He didn’t come in and say, ‘I have to be traded.’ He didn’t object to the fact that maybe it’s time – the way (he’s) been received – now maybe it’s time.”
Spezza has been the subject of trade rumours and speculation after the Senators since the team was elimiated in the first round of the playoffs. Adding more intrigue was a small fan rally on Parliament Hill over the weekend urging the Murray to keep the club’s No. 1 centre.
The story refers to the sparsely attended “Save Spezza” rally. It seems like even when Senators fans try to show their support for the disgruntled playmaking center, it ultimately comes off as a backhanded compliment. Personally, I enjoy watching him play, but considering his $7.5 million cap hit, it’s easy to understand why fans get frustrated with his lack of defensive commitment and abundant turnovers.
Murray also confirmed rumors that shot-blocking defenseman Anton Volchenkov is expected to depart the team via unrestricted free agency. Earlier this summer, I heard that the Capitals could be potential suitors; really, I think any team that needs a rugged, second-tier shutdown guy would greatly benefit from adding Volchenkov.
Expect all kinds of news this week as the NHL awards, Hall of Fame inductions and NHL Draft take place. We’ll keep you up-to-date every day, so say tuned.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)