Jun 21, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
After polling the gang at PHT and 10 hockey bloggers, Joe Nieuwendyk stood head and shoulders above all of the other Hockey Hall of Fame candidates as the most deserving inductee for 2010. The four most competitive runners-up were Doug Gilmour, Adam Oates, Dino Ciccarelli and Dave Andreychuk. Cammi Granato, Alex Mogilny and Eric Lindros were the only other eligible candidates to receive more than one vote while a wide range of people earned at least one.
Let’s take a look at the possible inductees, from most votes to one vote each. The maximum number of votes is 13 and every pick counted as one vote – there were no bonuses given to a “first place winner.”
Niewendyk – 10
Gilmour – 7
Oates – 6
Ciccarelli – 5
Andreychuk – 4
Granato – 2
Mogilny – 2
Lindros – 2
So, the closest thing to a consensus four-person ballot would be:
That only person to come up with that exact ballot (though not necessarily in that order) was PHT’s own Joe Yerdon.
I was pleased to see the name Cammi Granato come up quite often and also noticed that Pavel Bure might have been the dominant force in the “honorable mention” category. I wonder if that’s a sign that the two very different hockey players might have a chance to make it into the Hall of Fame, even if it doesn’t happen in 2010.
Now that we’ve covered a big chunk of the hockey blogosphere’s opinion on the subject, I’d like to ask PHT readers out there. If you had a four-person ballot, who would you pick? Are there any candidates who shouldn’t have gone unnoticed or didn’t receive enough votes? Tell us in the comments.
Here are the two in-depth voting posts one more time, if you need some food for thought.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 8
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 52
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 49
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional