Jun 21, 2010, 12:20 PM EST
For the first time in more than 50 years, the Boston Bruins look like they’ll take a European vacation. From exhibition games in Ireland to two season-opening matches in Prague, the team might be a little jet-lagged to start the 2010-11 season, but my guess is most of them will find the trip worthwhile.
The Boston Bruins are slated to play an exhibition game at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast, Northern Ireland on Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. local time as part of the 2010 Compuware NHL Premiere Challenge.
The Bruins will play the Belfast Giants Select, a unified team comprised of an All-Star selection of the best of the UK Elite League players from each team. Ticket sales and broadcast information for this game will be released at a later date.
The Bruins will officially open their 2010-11 NHL regular season by playing the Phoenix Coyotes in two games at Prague’s O2 Arena on Saturday, Oct. 9 and Sunday, Oct. 10.
The Bruins return to Europe for the first time in 50 years. After the 1958-59 season, the Bruins and New York Rangers embarked on a 10-city, 23-game European tour that included games in London, Geneva, Paris, Antwerp, Zurich, Berlin and Vienna, among others.
Wow, a 23-game tour of Europe that took place in 10 different cities? That’s an amazing tour to help build the game.
Expect more interesting developments regarding the 2010-11 regular and exhibition season as the schedule comes out over the next week or so.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)