Jun 19, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
An NHL team would always prefer a penalty shot to nothing at all, but what happens when the guy receiving it barely has a prayer of scoring? Sure, it usually takes a fleeter-of-foot (and therefore, often more-skilled) player to produce most breakaways, but that’s not a guarantee. Especially if the guy received the opportunity because he stepped out of the penalty box at the ideal time.
So, with that thought in mind, I polled PHT readers to find out the best way to handle that situation. Should the team be able to choose which player takes the penalty shot, as is done in Olympic competition? Maybe an NHL team can decide on case-by-case basis if it wants to take the penalty shot or a normal two-minute powerplay? Then again, some readers might just want to keep it the same way.
Take a look at the poll results below. (Click to enlarge)
As you can see, the most popular choice was the one I lean toward a little bit: give the team a choice between a PP or a penalty shot while keeping the rule the same was the closest runner-up.
Who knows if the NHL will ever change the rule. It’s not really a life-or-death question, but I still think it’s a rule that could benefit from a minor tweak or two. What do you think?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)