Jun 19, 2010, 10:30 PM EST
An NHL team would always prefer a penalty shot to nothing at all, but what happens when the guy receiving it barely has a prayer of scoring? Sure, it usually takes a fleeter-of-foot (and therefore, often more-skilled) player to produce most breakaways, but that’s not a guarantee. Especially if the guy received the opportunity because he stepped out of the penalty box at the ideal time.
So, with that thought in mind, I polled PHT readers to find out the best way to handle that situation. Should the team be able to choose which player takes the penalty shot, as is done in Olympic competition? Maybe an NHL team can decide on case-by-case basis if it wants to take the penalty shot or a normal two-minute powerplay? Then again, some readers might just want to keep it the same way.
Take a look at the poll results below. (Click to enlarge)
As you can see, the most popular choice was the one I lean toward a little bit: give the team a choice between a PP or a penalty shot while keeping the rule the same was the closest runner-up.
Who knows if the NHL will ever change the rule. It’s not really a life-or-death question, but I still think it’s a rule that could benefit from a minor tweak or two. What do you think?
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 3
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 12
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 22
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)