Jun 19, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
An NHL team would always prefer a penalty shot to nothing at all, but what happens when the guy receiving it barely has a prayer of scoring? Sure, it usually takes a fleeter-of-foot (and therefore, often more-skilled) player to produce most breakaways, but that’s not a guarantee. Especially if the guy received the opportunity because he stepped out of the penalty box at the ideal time.
So, with that thought in mind, I polled PHT readers to find out the best way to handle that situation. Should the team be able to choose which player takes the penalty shot, as is done in Olympic competition? Maybe an NHL team can decide on case-by-case basis if it wants to take the penalty shot or a normal two-minute powerplay? Then again, some readers might just want to keep it the same way.
Take a look at the poll results below. (Click to enlarge)
As you can see, the most popular choice was the one I lean toward a little bit: give the team a choice between a PP or a penalty shot while keeping the rule the same was the closest runner-up.
Who knows if the NHL will ever change the rule. It’s not really a life-or-death question, but I still think it’s a rule that could benefit from a minor tweak or two. What do you think?
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)