Jun 19, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
I made a “the Philadelphia Flyers are the Nashville Predators East” joke in the very first post I published with Pro Hockey Talk. So, maybe it shouldn’t have been that surprising that the Flyers poached yet another Predators product when they dealt for sought-after free agent defenseman Dan Hamhuis.
It’s almost as if the Predators are a clearing house for the Flyers, an extra affiliate with more expensive prospects. Let’s take a look at some of the Preds-turn-Flyers from the last few years.
Scott Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen: After their anomaly of a horrible 2006-07 season, the Philadelphia Flyers changed their team up in a big way. The Flyers traded for both Hartnell (their answer to Dustin Byfuglien during the playoffs) and Timonen (a Finnish defenseman who brings offense and steady defense to the table) before the 07-08 season. Those two might not have been the team’s best players, but they’ve been a big part of their foundation.
Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent: Those two players went to Philly in Nashville’s risky (and ultimately fruitless) ’07 trade for Peter Forsberg. They also received some helpful draft picks.
Dan Hamhuis: Their most recent acquisition from the Nashville Predators, obviously. Hamhuis could be a heck of an addition to the Flyers blueline. The question is, will his addition mean than the subtraction of more than just Ryan Parent? The team will need to make some big decisions this summer if they manage to wrap Hamhuis up.
My guess is that the two franchises share some similar roots. There have been enough significant moves between the two teams that there must be some bond between the two front offices. Either way, each club has had a big impact on each other.
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 6
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)