Jun 19, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
I made a “the Philadelphia Flyers are the Nashville Predators East” joke in the very first post I published with Pro Hockey Talk. So, maybe it shouldn’t have been that surprising that the Flyers poached yet another Predators product when they dealt for sought-after free agent defenseman Dan Hamhuis.
It’s almost as if the Predators are a clearing house for the Flyers, an extra affiliate with more expensive prospects. Let’s take a look at some of the Preds-turn-Flyers from the last few years.
Scott Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen: After their anomaly of a horrible 2006-07 season, the Philadelphia Flyers changed their team up in a big way. The Flyers traded for both Hartnell (their answer to Dustin Byfuglien during the playoffs) and Timonen (a Finnish defenseman who brings offense and steady defense to the table) before the 07-08 season. Those two might not have been the team’s best players, but they’ve been a big part of their foundation.
Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent: Those two players went to Philly in Nashville’s risky (and ultimately fruitless) ’07 trade for Peter Forsberg. They also received some helpful draft picks.
Dan Hamhuis: Their most recent acquisition from the Nashville Predators, obviously. Hamhuis could be a heck of an addition to the Flyers blueline. The question is, will his addition mean than the subtraction of more than just Ryan Parent? The team will need to make some big decisions this summer if they manage to wrap Hamhuis up.
My guess is that the two franchises share some similar roots. There have been enough significant moves between the two teams that there must be some bond between the two front offices. Either way, each club has had a big impact on each other.
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 6
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30