Jun 19, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
I made a “the Philadelphia Flyers are the Nashville Predators East” joke in the very first post I published with Pro Hockey Talk. So, maybe it shouldn’t have been that surprising that the Flyers poached yet another Predators product when they dealt for sought-after free agent defenseman Dan Hamhuis.
It’s almost as if the Predators are a clearing house for the Flyers, an extra affiliate with more expensive prospects. Let’s take a look at some of the Preds-turn-Flyers from the last few years.
Scott Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen: After their anomaly of a horrible 2006-07 season, the Philadelphia Flyers changed their team up in a big way. The Flyers traded for both Hartnell (their answer to Dustin Byfuglien during the playoffs) and Timonen (a Finnish defenseman who brings offense and steady defense to the table) before the 07-08 season. Those two might not have been the team’s best players, but they’ve been a big part of their foundation.
Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent: Those two players went to Philly in Nashville’s risky (and ultimately fruitless) ’07 trade for Peter Forsberg. They also received some helpful draft picks.
Dan Hamhuis: Their most recent acquisition from the Nashville Predators, obviously. Hamhuis could be a heck of an addition to the Flyers blueline. The question is, will his addition mean than the subtraction of more than just Ryan Parent? The team will need to make some big decisions this summer if they manage to wrap Hamhuis up.
My guess is that the two franchises share some similar roots. There have been enough significant moves between the two teams that there must be some bond between the two front offices. Either way, each club has had a big impact on each other.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 12
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)