Jun 18, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
Athletes were judged on major stats; championships to which they’d made major contributions; buzz factor; and age.
Crosby, who is 22 years old, was ranked No. 1, followed by Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic (24); Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder (21); Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans (24); and Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals (24).
That’s some impressive company. (Waits for angry Washington Capitals to yell themselves hoarse.) I think Crosby is a pretty good choice, but honestly, the cream of the NHL crop seems to be in that age range. Let’s take a look at the best players under 25, beyond Alex Ovechkin and Crosby.
It’s an impressive list, but keep in mind I’m leaving out the good-but-not-great-just-yet players such as John Tavares and Matt Duchene.
Evgeni Malkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Paul Stastny, Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Eric Staal, and chances are a lot of others I’ve forgotten. (Sorry, Jordan Staal.)
Mike Green, Drew Doughty, Erik Johnson, Shea Weber, Brent Seabrook Ryan Suter, Tyler Myers, Keith Yandle and maybe a few others? (I don’t think Victor Hedman is worthy just yet.)
Is Dion Phaneuf good enough to be on this list?
Marc-Andre Fleury, Tuukka Rask, Semyon Varlamov (maybe?) and Jaroslav Halak.
From the looks of this list, there are plenty of great players at or under the age of 25. Considering the fact that athletes tend to hit their prime around those years, this certainly bodes well for the future of the league.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)