Jun 18, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
Athletes were judged on major stats; championships to which they’d made major contributions; buzz factor; and age.
Crosby, who is 22 years old, was ranked No. 1, followed by Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic (24); Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder (21); Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans (24); and Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals (24).
That’s some impressive company. (Waits for angry Washington Capitals to yell themselves hoarse.) I think Crosby is a pretty good choice, but honestly, the cream of the NHL crop seems to be in that age range. Let’s take a look at the best players under 25, beyond Alex Ovechkin and Crosby.
It’s an impressive list, but keep in mind I’m leaving out the good-but-not-great-just-yet players such as John Tavares and Matt Duchene.
Evgeni Malkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Paul Stastny, Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Eric Staal, and chances are a lot of others I’ve forgotten. (Sorry, Jordan Staal.)
Mike Green, Drew Doughty, Erik Johnson, Shea Weber, Brent Seabrook Ryan Suter, Tyler Myers, Keith Yandle and maybe a few others? (I don’t think Victor Hedman is worthy just yet.)
Is Dion Phaneuf good enough to be on this list?
Marc-Andre Fleury, Tuukka Rask, Semyon Varlamov (maybe?) and Jaroslav Halak.
From the looks of this list, there are plenty of great players at or under the age of 25. Considering the fact that athletes tend to hit their prime around those years, this certainly bodes well for the future of the league.
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31