Jun 18, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Our story yesterday on the rumored trade proposal between Columbus and
Boston caused a bit of stir and if nothing else left people scratching
their heads a bit. Before writing up the story, I double checked with my
source on the information he was giving me and then posted the proposed
trade that would leave Boston with the 2nd and 4th pick in next week’s
draft. This morning I followed up, and was assured that this was a
proposal that “has been discussed” by Boston and Columbus.
important to note one thing: not once have we reported this trade as a
done deal or anything other than a rumor. At this point, it’s something
that’s been discussed between the two teams and there’s a number of
factors that could change if this trade does indeed go down.
first and biggest issue with this trade (as it’s been proposed) is the
no-trade clause in Marc Savard’s contract. There was some discussion
last night over whether he currently has a NTC in place; his contract
extension doesn’t take effect until July 1st, but as far as we can
determine he still has a NTC in place with the contract he’s under right
now. When Savard signed his extension mid-season, he made it clear that
Boston was where he wanted to finish his career.
Here is what
Savard had to say in December:
“With all the incredible sports teams they have here and the fans’
knowledge about all the events, it’s incredible,” Savard said. “Since
day one, I look back at the playoffs and to see what could be really
excites me, too, especially when we play the Canadiens in the playoffs
and the way fans react. It’s something that we’d like to try to finish
“When I signed a seven-year deal, obviously it was to play the whole
seven years,” Savard said. “So that’s how I look at it right now and I
think that’s what I’m going to be true to right now. I really haven’t
thought about anything else.”
It was obvious that Savard at the time made it clear he wanted to
finish his career in Boston, but who knows what’s happened since then.
It’s also possible that the Bruins have discussed a possible trade
involving Savard, since he could be the center the Blue Jackets are
looking for, while thinking there’s a chance he waives the NTC.
With this just being a discussion between the two teams, it’s likely
the parts will certainly change. If Savard isn’t willing to waive his
NTC, then you wonder if the Bruins have the parts that the Blue Jackets
would want in order to give up the 4th pick.
As of now, we’re nowhere near reporting this as a done deal. It’s
likely not close either, especially as I learned this morning that this
trade was still in just the discussion phase.
I understand some of the responses I’ve seen on here and on Twitter,
especially when a trade rumor of this magnitude seemingly comes out of
nowhere. I can guarantee that this is not a “total fabrication” and that
this comes from a reliable source. Is it being reported as fact? Not
[Thanks to Greg Wyshynski for
pointing us to the Savard quotes]
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming