Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 AM EST
Steve Yzerman has always been a class individual both on and off the ice. After the previous owners regime has ended in Tampa Bay, Yzerman’s doing the best he can to bring some of that class and respect back to the Lightning front office in both how he handles hiring or interviewing people for positions with the team.
Today, we find out that doing good personnel service and respecting guys who have done a lot for the team also fits into that discussion as Yzerman is making it a “priority” to get a contract extension done with forward Martin St. Louis.
“He’s a first-class guy and he deserves to be treated with the utmost respect, and I’ll do that,” Yzerman said. “Where it ends up, we’ll see. They want to make a deal that makes sense for them, and I have to make a deal that makes sense for us. We have some time to get it done, but it definitely is a priority for me.”
St. Louis will turn 35 years-old on Friday, so extending his deal means having implications long-term as any deal signed by a 35+ player stays on the books no matter what happens. Expecting a long contract or one that has a potentially painful price tag shouldn’t be expected, then again, there’s a sucker born every minute. Most of those suckers aren’t generally named Glen Sather, however.
All that aside, St. Louis has been nothing if not consistent putting up goal totals ranging between a low of 25 and a high of 43 in each of his last seven seasons while also proving to be a steady playmaker knocking out 50+ assists in six of his last seven seasons. For a guy that’s 5’9″ 175 those are impressive numbers in what’s supposed to be a big man’s league.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)