Jun 17, 2010, 12:12 AM EDT
Steve Yzerman has always been a class individual both on and off the ice. After the previous owners regime has ended in Tampa Bay, Yzerman’s doing the best he can to bring some of that class and respect back to the Lightning front office in both how he handles hiring or interviewing people for positions with the team.
Today, we find out that doing good personnel service and respecting guys who have done a lot for the team also fits into that discussion as Yzerman is making it a “priority” to get a contract extension done with forward Martin St. Louis.
“He’s a first-class guy and he deserves to be treated with the utmost respect, and I’ll do that,” Yzerman said. “Where it ends up, we’ll see. They want to make a deal that makes sense for them, and I have to make a deal that makes sense for us. We have some time to get it done, but it definitely is a priority for me.”
St. Louis will turn 35 years-old on Friday, so extending his deal means having implications long-term as any deal signed by a 35+ player stays on the books no matter what happens. Expecting a long contract or one that has a potentially painful price tag shouldn’t be expected, then again, there’s a sucker born every minute. Most of those suckers aren’t generally named Glen Sather, however.
All that aside, St. Louis has been nothing if not consistent putting up goal totals ranging between a low of 25 and a high of 43 in each of his last seven seasons while also proving to be a steady playmaker knocking out 50+ assists in six of his last seven seasons. For a guy that’s 5’9″ 175 those are impressive numbers in what’s supposed to be a big man’s league.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)