Jun 17, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
It’s rarely safe to work in absolutes or extremes, but the Edmonton Oilers would be crazy to trade their No. 1 pick unless a team threw a Lindros-for-Forsberg+Noah’s Ark type offer their way. Darren Dreger’s report that Oilers GM Steve Tambellini is willing to hear any and all offers for their top pick is pretty vague (saying they’ll “listen” is almost obvious), but it needs to be said: the Oilers must keep their draft choice.
The 2009-10 Oilers season was “Murphy’s Law” on ice. From Ales Hemsky’s season-ending injury to Sheldon Souray’s belly-aching down to the horrific season Nikolai Khabibulin experienced, it seemed like anything that could go wrong did go wrong for Edmonton.
That’s why, from a PR standpoint, it would take one ridiculous offer to justify giving up on Taylor Hall (or Tyler Seguin, I guess).
When you’re making decisions about players who aren’t even old enough to legally buy a beer in the U.S., the immediate future shouldn’t be your biggest concern. Still, after being rejected by Dany Heatley last summer and dealing with a miserable season, the Oilers need to instill a feeling of hope among their fans.
Besides, the last two Stanley Cup winners had a fair amount of success with their No. 1 picks …
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)