Jun 17, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
It’s rarely safe to work in absolutes or extremes, but the Edmonton Oilers would be crazy to trade their No. 1 pick unless a team threw a Lindros-for-Forsberg+Noah’s Ark type offer their way. Darren Dreger’s report that Oilers GM Steve Tambellini is willing to hear any and all offers for their top pick is pretty vague (saying they’ll “listen” is almost obvious), but it needs to be said: the Oilers must keep their draft choice.
The 2009-10 Oilers season was “Murphy’s Law” on ice. From Ales Hemsky’s season-ending injury to Sheldon Souray’s belly-aching down to the horrific season Nikolai Khabibulin experienced, it seemed like anything that could go wrong did go wrong for Edmonton.
That’s why, from a PR standpoint, it would take one ridiculous offer to justify giving up on Taylor Hall (or Tyler Seguin, I guess).
When you’re making decisions about players who aren’t even old enough to legally buy a beer in the U.S., the immediate future shouldn’t be your biggest concern. Still, after being rejected by Dany Heatley last summer and dealing with a miserable season, the Oilers need to instill a feeling of hope among their fans.
Besides, the last two Stanley Cup winners had a fair amount of success with their No. 1 picks …
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)