Jun 17, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
After mulling over a few other coaching options, the New Jersey Devils announced that they decided to hire from within and therefore promoted Lowell Devils coach John MacLean to the big club’s head job.
MacLean (not to be confused with Bruce Willis’ star-making “Die Hard” character John McClane) has been a fixture in the franchise for nearly 30 years. He was the Devils first choice in the 1983 draft, scored an overtime goal that sent to the team to the playoffs for the first time ever and holds various individual franchise records (including the all-time lead for goals and playoff points). The Devils forward also was an alternate captain when the team won its first Stanley Cup in 1995.
He was a Devils assistant coach from the 2002-03 season through 2008-09 campaign before taking over as the Lowell Devils head coach last season. MacLean ended up with a 39-31 record in his one year behind an AHL bench. Here’s how MacLean described his coaching style.
“I’m whatever is called for that day,” MacLean said last season when asked about his coaching style. “If it calls for teaching and being nice or if it calls for breaking a stick and yelling and screaming, then that’s what it calls for that day.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)