Jun 17, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
In what has been one of the busiest days in ages for the St. Louis Blues, the team traded Julian Talbot for disgruntled Colorado Avalanche forward T.J. Hensick. The Avs were busy in their own right today, signing Kevin Porter, Ray Macias and Phillipe Dupuis. (Source: The Denver Post)
Hensick was, at one point, thought to be a fairly promising prospect for the Avs. He made the big club at 22, playing 31 games during the 07-08 season (11 points) and 61 games in 08-09 for 21 points. Unfortunately, amid a rush of great play from other young players such as Matt Duchene, Hensick found himself demoted to the AHL and only played in seven contests last season.
Much like headline-grabbing acquisition Jaroslav Halak, Hensick is a restricted free agent. There were actually some rumors about Hensick going to the Swedish Elite League, and he’s (again) not under contract for the 2010-11 season, so both players are yet to be sure-things to play in St. Louis.
Either way, it’s obvious that Hensick and the Avalanche were at an impasse. Perhaps Hensick (derisively referred to as “The Little Ball of Meh”) will be able to reinvigorate his career in St. Louis. He might essentially replace traded prospect Lars Eller with the franchise, and at 24, he’s far from a lost cause.
It’s been a busy day for the Blues. We’ll see how productive it was once they sign one or two of those players to contracts (not to mention once the season starts in October).
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)