Jun 17, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
In what has been one of the busiest days in ages for the St. Louis Blues, the team traded Julian Talbot for disgruntled Colorado Avalanche forward T.J. Hensick. The Avs were busy in their own right today, signing Kevin Porter, Ray Macias and Phillipe Dupuis. (Source: The Denver Post)
Hensick was, at one point, thought to be a fairly promising prospect for the Avs. He made the big club at 22, playing 31 games during the 07-08 season (11 points) and 61 games in 08-09 for 21 points. Unfortunately, amid a rush of great play from other young players such as Matt Duchene, Hensick found himself demoted to the AHL and only played in seven contests last season.
Much like headline-grabbing acquisition Jaroslav Halak, Hensick is a restricted free agent. There were actually some rumors about Hensick going to the Swedish Elite League, and he’s (again) not under contract for the 2010-11 season, so both players are yet to be sure-things to play in St. Louis.
Either way, it’s obvious that Hensick and the Avalanche were at an impasse. Perhaps Hensick (derisively referred to as “The Little Ball of Meh”) will be able to reinvigorate his career in St. Louis. He might essentially replace traded prospect Lars Eller with the franchise, and at 24, he’s far from a lost cause.
It’s been a busy day for the Blues. We’ll see how productive it was once they sign one or two of those players to contracts (not to mention once the season starts in October).
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 14
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)