Jun 17, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
With all due respect to Mike Ramsey and Francis Bouillon, we finally have some huge news today: rumors are circulating that the Montreal Canadiens traded Jaroslav Halak’s RFA bargaining rights to the St. Louis Blues. It was originally reported by RDS and picked up by TSN, so it sounds like there might be some credibility to the deal.
The first thing that must be noted is that the terms of the trade aren’t clear just yet.
Another important note is that this doesn’t guarantee that Halak will be a member of the St. Louis Blues just yet. Keep in mind that Halak is still waiting on a new deal as a restricted free agent, so it’s far from impossible that he could end up elsewhere once July 1 rolls around. Let’s wait until Halak signs a deal with the Blues before we proclaim John Davidson “a genius.”
Now, naturally, the Blues would probably hesitate to move anything for the right to discuss a contract alone. That being said, they are without a No. 1 goalie since Chris Mason is an unrestricted free agent. They have the cap space to add a piece like Halak.
Beyond the Slovakian playoff hero, this possible deal greatly affects Mason (who will need to find a new team) and also the Habs’ other restricted free agent goalie Carey Price.
More analysis of this situation to follow as we get a clearer view of the situation. I forgive you if your mind is blown. Mine is too.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)