Jun 17, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
With all due respect to Mike Ramsey and Francis Bouillon, we finally have some huge news today: rumors are circulating that the Montreal Canadiens traded Jaroslav Halak’s RFA bargaining rights to the St. Louis Blues. It was originally reported by RDS and picked up by TSN, so it sounds like there might be some credibility to the deal.
The first thing that must be noted is that the terms of the trade aren’t clear just yet.
Another important note is that this doesn’t guarantee that Halak will be a member of the St. Louis Blues just yet. Keep in mind that Halak is still waiting on a new deal as a restricted free agent, so it’s far from impossible that he could end up elsewhere once July 1 rolls around. Let’s wait until Halak signs a deal with the Blues before we proclaim John Davidson “a genius.”
Now, naturally, the Blues would probably hesitate to move anything for the right to discuss a contract alone. That being said, they are without a No. 1 goalie since Chris Mason is an unrestricted free agent. They have the cap space to add a piece like Halak.
Beyond the Slovakian playoff hero, this possible deal greatly affects Mason (who will need to find a new team) and also the Habs’ other restricted free agent goalie Carey Price.
More analysis of this situation to follow as we get a clearer view of the situation. I forgive you if your mind is blown. Mine is too.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)