Jun 17, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
With all due respect to Mike Ramsey and Francis Bouillon, we finally have some huge news today: rumors are circulating that the Montreal Canadiens traded Jaroslav Halak’s RFA bargaining rights to the St. Louis Blues. It was originally reported by RDS and picked up by TSN, so it sounds like there might be some credibility to the deal.
The first thing that must be noted is that the terms of the trade aren’t clear just yet.
Another important note is that this doesn’t guarantee that Halak will be a member of the St. Louis Blues just yet. Keep in mind that Halak is still waiting on a new deal as a restricted free agent, so it’s far from impossible that he could end up elsewhere once July 1 rolls around. Let’s wait until Halak signs a deal with the Blues before we proclaim John Davidson “a genius.”
Now, naturally, the Blues would probably hesitate to move anything for the right to discuss a contract alone. That being said, they are without a No. 1 goalie since Chris Mason is an unrestricted free agent. They have the cap space to add a piece like Halak.
Beyond the Slovakian playoff hero, this possible deal greatly affects Mason (who will need to find a new team) and also the Habs’ other restricted free agent goalie Carey Price.
More analysis of this situation to follow as we get a clearer view of the situation. I forgive you if your mind is blown. Mine is too.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)