Jun 17, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
With all due respect to Mike Ramsey and Francis Bouillon, we finally have some huge news today: rumors are circulating that the Montreal Canadiens traded Jaroslav Halak’s RFA bargaining rights to the St. Louis Blues. It was originally reported by RDS and picked up by TSN, so it sounds like there might be some credibility to the deal.
The first thing that must be noted is that the terms of the trade aren’t clear just yet.
Another important note is that this doesn’t guarantee that Halak will be a member of the St. Louis Blues just yet. Keep in mind that Halak is still waiting on a new deal as a restricted free agent, so it’s far from impossible that he could end up elsewhere once July 1 rolls around. Let’s wait until Halak signs a deal with the Blues before we proclaim John Davidson “a genius.”
Now, naturally, the Blues would probably hesitate to move anything for the right to discuss a contract alone. That being said, they are without a No. 1 goalie since Chris Mason is an unrestricted free agent. They have the cap space to add a piece like Halak.
Beyond the Slovakian playoff hero, this possible deal greatly affects Mason (who will need to find a new team) and also the Habs’ other restricted free agent goalie Carey Price.
More analysis of this situation to follow as we get a clearer view of the situation. I forgive you if your mind is blown. Mine is too.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)