Jun 17, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
With all due respect to Mike Ramsey and Francis Bouillon, we finally have some huge news today: rumors are circulating that the Montreal Canadiens traded Jaroslav Halak’s RFA bargaining rights to the St. Louis Blues. It was originally reported by RDS and picked up by TSN, so it sounds like there might be some credibility to the deal.
The first thing that must be noted is that the terms of the trade aren’t clear just yet.
Another important note is that this doesn’t guarantee that Halak will be a member of the St. Louis Blues just yet. Keep in mind that Halak is still waiting on a new deal as a restricted free agent, so it’s far from impossible that he could end up elsewhere once July 1 rolls around. Let’s wait until Halak signs a deal with the Blues before we proclaim John Davidson “a genius.”
Now, naturally, the Blues would probably hesitate to move anything for the right to discuss a contract alone. That being said, they are without a No. 1 goalie since Chris Mason is an unrestricted free agent. They have the cap space to add a piece like Halak.
Beyond the Slovakian playoff hero, this possible deal greatly affects Mason (who will need to find a new team) and also the Habs’ other restricted free agent goalie Carey Price.
More analysis of this situation to follow as we get a clearer view of the situation. I forgive you if your mind is blown. Mine is too.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 33
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 31
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 105
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (105)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement