Jun 17, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
After spending 10 years as the assistant coach of the Minnesota Wild, Mike Ramsey announced that he will step down from the team immediately.
Ramsey made a big impact on American and Minnesotan hockey. The Wild summarized his staggering resume of puck-based achievements.
And so ends the Wild coaching career of one of Minnesota’s most storied hockey personalities – having won a national championship with the Minnesota Gophers, capturing a gold medal with the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team, and playing in 1,070 NHL games and four All-Star Games before entering his coaching career.
After serving three years as an assistant for the Buffalo Sabres, he joined the staff of Jacques Lemaire in June of 2000, along with Mario Tremblay, and he’s been a fixture behind the bench and in the locker room ever since.
Not everyone from the “Miracle on Ice” roster prospered on the ice after that historic success, but Ramsey is among the players who enjoyed a productive NHL career. He also managed to be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001.
I’m not certain why precisely Ramsey is leaving, but I’d assume that he wouldn’t vacate a decades-long post just to spend more time with his family. Could a head coaching job – whether it be in the AHL or NHL – be a possibility? That’s not clear right now, but PHT will keep you up to date on NHL-related news throughout the summer.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)