Jun 17, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
After spending 10 years as the assistant coach of the Minnesota Wild, Mike Ramsey announced that he will step down from the team immediately.
Ramsey made a big impact on American and Minnesotan hockey. The Wild summarized his staggering resume of puck-based achievements.
And so ends the Wild coaching career of one of Minnesota’s most storied hockey personalities – having won a national championship with the Minnesota Gophers, capturing a gold medal with the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team, and playing in 1,070 NHL games and four All-Star Games before entering his coaching career.
After serving three years as an assistant for the Buffalo Sabres, he joined the staff of Jacques Lemaire in June of 2000, along with Mario Tremblay, and he’s been a fixture behind the bench and in the locker room ever since.
Not everyone from the “Miracle on Ice” roster prospered on the ice after that historic success, but Ramsey is among the players who enjoyed a productive NHL career. He also managed to be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001.
I’m not certain why precisely Ramsey is leaving, but I’d assume that he wouldn’t vacate a decades-long post just to spend more time with his family. Could a head coaching job – whether it be in the AHL or NHL – be a possibility? That’s not clear right now, but PHT will keep you up to date on NHL-related news throughout the summer.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)