Jun 17, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
After spending 10 years as the assistant coach of the Minnesota Wild, Mike Ramsey announced that he will step down from the team immediately.
Ramsey made a big impact on American and Minnesotan hockey. The Wild summarized his staggering resume of puck-based achievements.
And so ends the Wild coaching career of one of Minnesota’s most storied hockey personalities – having won a national championship with the Minnesota Gophers, capturing a gold medal with the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team, and playing in 1,070 NHL games and four All-Star Games before entering his coaching career.
After serving three years as an assistant for the Buffalo Sabres, he joined the staff of Jacques Lemaire in June of 2000, along with Mario Tremblay, and he’s been a fixture behind the bench and in the locker room ever since.
Not everyone from the “Miracle on Ice” roster prospered on the ice after that historic success, but Ramsey is among the players who enjoyed a productive NHL career. He also managed to be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001.
I’m not certain why precisely Ramsey is leaving, but I’d assume that he wouldn’t vacate a decades-long post just to spend more time with his family. Could a head coaching job – whether it be in the AHL or NHL – be a possibility? That’s not clear right now, but PHT will keep you up to date on NHL-related news throughout the summer.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)