Jun 17, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
After spending 10 years as the assistant coach of the Minnesota Wild, Mike Ramsey announced that he will step down from the team immediately.
Ramsey made a big impact on American and Minnesotan hockey. The Wild summarized his staggering resume of puck-based achievements.
And so ends the Wild coaching career of one of Minnesota’s most storied hockey personalities – having won a national championship with the Minnesota Gophers, capturing a gold medal with the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team, and playing in 1,070 NHL games and four All-Star Games before entering his coaching career.
After serving three years as an assistant for the Buffalo Sabres, he joined the staff of Jacques Lemaire in June of 2000, along with Mario Tremblay, and he’s been a fixture behind the bench and in the locker room ever since.
Not everyone from the “Miracle on Ice” roster prospered on the ice after that historic success, but Ramsey is among the players who enjoyed a productive NHL career. He also managed to be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001.
I’m not certain why precisely Ramsey is leaving, but I’d assume that he wouldn’t vacate a decades-long post just to spend more time with his family. Could a head coaching job – whether it be in the AHL or NHL – be a possibility? That’s not clear right now, but PHT will keep you up to date on NHL-related news throughout the summer.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games