Jun 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
Danny Briere was in a car accident last night, but luckily, the only hockey-related news item that could be referred to as a “tragedy” today will happen if Montreal Canadiens fans are being melodramatic about the Jaroslav Halak trade. Briere and his nine year old son Cameron left a Binghampton hospital with only minor injuries and the person driving the truck he bumped into didn’t suffer any major problems either.
So, instead, it was just a close call for the leading point producer of the 2010 playoffs. It sounds like it could have been a really dangerous accident, though, from the AP report.
The accident happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on Interstate 81 just north of the New York-Pennsylvania line.
New York State Police Sgt. Steven Barlow says Briere was “a little drowsy” and trying to pass the truck when his SUV drifted to the right in the passing lane and clipped the tractor-trailer.
Briere’s black Land Rover then hit a guardrail as the tractor-trailer jackknifed and flipped onto its side.
It’s great to hear that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
OK, so there might have been one tragedy: the accident backed up traffic in the area for five hours. Yikes.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)