Jun 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
Danny Briere was in a car accident last night, but luckily, the only hockey-related news item that could be referred to as a “tragedy” today will happen if Montreal Canadiens fans are being melodramatic about the Jaroslav Halak trade. Briere and his nine year old son Cameron left a Binghampton hospital with only minor injuries and the person driving the truck he bumped into didn’t suffer any major problems either.
So, instead, it was just a close call for the leading point producer of the 2010 playoffs. It sounds like it could have been a really dangerous accident, though, from the AP report.
The accident happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on Interstate 81 just north of the New York-Pennsylvania line.
New York State Police Sgt. Steven Barlow says Briere was “a little drowsy” and trying to pass the truck when his SUV drifted to the right in the passing lane and clipped the tractor-trailer.
Briere’s black Land Rover then hit a guardrail as the tractor-trailer jackknifed and flipped onto its side.
It’s great to hear that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
OK, so there might have been one tragedy: the accident backed up traffic in the area for five hours. Yikes.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)