Jun 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
Danny Briere was in a car accident last night, but luckily, the only hockey-related news item that could be referred to as a “tragedy” today will happen if Montreal Canadiens fans are being melodramatic about the Jaroslav Halak trade. Briere and his nine year old son Cameron left a Binghampton hospital with only minor injuries and the person driving the truck he bumped into didn’t suffer any major problems either.
So, instead, it was just a close call for the leading point producer of the 2010 playoffs. It sounds like it could have been a really dangerous accident, though, from the AP report.
The accident happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on Interstate 81 just north of the New York-Pennsylvania line.
New York State Police Sgt. Steven Barlow says Briere was “a little drowsy” and trying to pass the truck when his SUV drifted to the right in the passing lane and clipped the tractor-trailer.
Briere’s black Land Rover then hit a guardrail as the tractor-trailer jackknifed and flipped onto its side.
It’s great to hear that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
OK, so there might have been one tragedy: the accident backed up traffic in the area for five hours. Yikes.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness