Jun 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
Danny Briere was in a car accident last night, but luckily, the only hockey-related news item that could be referred to as a “tragedy” today will happen if Montreal Canadiens fans are being melodramatic about the Jaroslav Halak trade. Briere and his nine year old son Cameron left a Binghampton hospital with only minor injuries and the person driving the truck he bumped into didn’t suffer any major problems either.
So, instead, it was just a close call for the leading point producer of the 2010 playoffs. It sounds like it could have been a really dangerous accident, though, from the AP report.
The accident happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on Interstate 81 just north of the New York-Pennsylvania line.
New York State Police Sgt. Steven Barlow says Briere was “a little drowsy” and trying to pass the truck when his SUV drifted to the right in the passing lane and clipped the tractor-trailer.
Briere’s black Land Rover then hit a guardrail as the tractor-trailer jackknifed and flipped onto its side.
It’s great to hear that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
OK, so there might have been one tragedy: the accident backed up traffic in the area for five hours. Yikes.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)