Jun 17, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
Danny Briere was in a car accident last night, but luckily, the only hockey-related news item that could be referred to as a “tragedy” today will happen if Montreal Canadiens fans are being melodramatic about the Jaroslav Halak trade. Briere and his nine year old son Cameron left a Binghampton hospital with only minor injuries and the person driving the truck he bumped into didn’t suffer any major problems either.
So, instead, it was just a close call for the leading point producer of the 2010 playoffs. It sounds like it could have been a really dangerous accident, though, from the AP report.
The accident happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on Interstate 81 just north of the New York-Pennsylvania line.
New York State Police Sgt. Steven Barlow says Briere was “a little drowsy” and trying to pass the truck when his SUV drifted to the right in the passing lane and clipped the tractor-trailer.
Briere’s black Land Rover then hit a guardrail as the tractor-trailer jackknifed and flipped onto its side.
It’s great to hear that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
OK, so there might have been one tragedy: the accident backed up traffic in the area for five hours. Yikes.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)