Jun 17, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Pierre LeBrun provided a nice little roundup of free agent talk earlier today. I thought I’d expand/provide my two cents on a few of the items. Let’s do it in list form, OK?
The second I read Jokinen’s name, I thought “Obviously, he’s going to the KHL.” Except apparently the oft-derided center’s agent claims that he wants to stay in the NHL. Interesting.
Few players have seen their stock drop as precipitously as Olli Jokinen’s since he left the Florida Panthers. If I’m a fan of a contender, I’m not so sure I would want him on my team … even at a bargain basement price. He seems like the exact type of guy who will lose every puck battle in the playoffs.
Now, Demitra could be very interesting, but only if he’s willing to play for glory and not for money. Years ago, he was known as an explosive forward with the injury history of Wile E. Coyote. He had a disastrous run in Vancouver, though. If it weren’t for an impressive run in the Vancouver Olympics, I’d have some serious doubts of Demitra being NHL-relevant.
Could the somewhat soft but undeniably skilled forward be a nice, cheap option for a team that’s weak on the wings? His fragility means that his team would almost need to consider him gravy, though. He’d be an interesting gamble, as long as the given team isn’t pushing too many poker chips to the middle of the metaphorical table.
It sounds like the Pittsburgh Penguins are struggling to bring back the villainous Cooke. He was a nice fit for the Penguins, as beyond his often-past-the-edge hits, he was a great penalty killer, ferocious forechecker and could put a tiny bit of offense up as well.
Now, he’s not going to win any popularity contests, but if his money demands are reasonable he could be a great fit for a team looking for some edge. Maybe he’d fit in with, say, the San Jose Sharks?
LeBrun discusses Matt Cullen, Andy Sutton and a few other under-the-radar free agents in his article. The above three are the most interesting mentioned, though. Do you think your team would benefit from adding Jokinen, Cooke or Demitra? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)