Jun 17, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
On the verge of its 75th season, the AHL is now at an all-time high 30 teams. NHL.com shares the development league’s new conference/divisional alignment, which I captured in a screen shot below. (Click to enlarge)
In operation since 1936, the AHL continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 85 percent of today’s NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and for the ninth year in a row, more than 6 million fans attended AHL games across North America in 2009-10.
Earlier this week, the Hershey Bears defeated the Texas Stars to win a second straight Calder Cup. Beyond the great hockey and cozier atmosphere, the AHL often gives hockey fans a chance to see future NHL stars before they turn pro. Watching a young player progress into an NHL-level talent can be a real treat for hockey fans.
Let’s not forget the fact that tickets are often a lot cheaper, too. That doesn’t hurt. One more note about the 2010-11 AHL season from NHL.com
The format for the 2011 Calder Cup Playoffs will be determined by the Board of Governors at its Annual Meeting in Hilton Head Island, S.C., July 5-8. The complete playing schedule for the 2010-11 regular season, which begins Oct. 8, will be announced later this summer.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)