Jun 16, 2010, 2:59 AM EDT
A bit of odd news down the wire tonight via Twitter from CapGeek as it seems Red Wings are once again dipping into the Finnish pro league.
Red Wings sign F Ilari Filppula, the brother of Valtteri
The elder Filppula (5-foot-11, 191) has played his entire pro career in the Finnish League. He won the Jari Kurri Trophy as playoff MVP this season, helping TPS Turku win the championship by picking up two goals and 12 assists in 15 playoff games. He had 12 goals and 37 assists for a team-high 49 points in 58 regular season games.
Perhaps the Red Wings are hoping that this Finnish experiment will work out with less aggravation than their test run with Ville Leino, who was traded to the Flyers this past season after the Red Wings ran out of patience with him. Much to the Red Wings chagrin, Leino then turned into one of the Flyers top performers in the playoffs. Meanwhile the player the Wings got in return for Leino, Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, won’t be leaving Swedish team MoDo to come back and play for the Red Wings.
I would have to assume that if Ilari Filppula is going to become something other than a guy getting time grinding away in the AHL, he’s there to at least keep his kid brother happy by being stateside. Then again, you can’t put anything past the Red Wings when it comes to digging for gold in Scandinavia.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 6
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 13
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 38
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 81
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (83)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control