Jun 16, 2010, 2:59 AM EDT
A bit of odd news down the wire tonight via Twitter from CapGeek as it seems Red Wings are once again dipping into the Finnish pro league.
Red Wings sign F Ilari Filppula, the brother of Valtteri
The elder Filppula (5-foot-11, 191) has played his entire pro career in the Finnish League. He won the Jari Kurri Trophy as playoff MVP this season, helping TPS Turku win the championship by picking up two goals and 12 assists in 15 playoff games. He had 12 goals and 37 assists for a team-high 49 points in 58 regular season games.
Perhaps the Red Wings are hoping that this Finnish experiment will work out with less aggravation than their test run with Ville Leino, who was traded to the Flyers this past season after the Red Wings ran out of patience with him. Much to the Red Wings chagrin, Leino then turned into one of the Flyers top performers in the playoffs. Meanwhile the player the Wings got in return for Leino, Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, won’t be leaving Swedish team MoDo to come back and play for the Red Wings.
I would have to assume that if Ilari Filppula is going to become something other than a guy getting time grinding away in the AHL, he’s there to at least keep his kid brother happy by being stateside. Then again, you can’t put anything past the Red Wings when it comes to digging for gold in Scandinavia.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6