Jun 16, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
A few days ago, I asked PHT readers to assess the value of restricted free agent (and Stanley Cup winning goalie) Antti Niemi. The Chicago Blackhawks salary cap situation is obviously one of the stories of the summer and Niemi’s RFA status could force the team to make some tough decisions.
As you can see from the pie chart below, opinions were generally pretty scattered on his exact value. (Click the image to enlarge the results.)
While “$2.5 million” was the most popular choice (and on some level, seems like the average even if it’s not the consensus), the general range seemed to be “$2 million or less” to as much as $3.5 million. I’d also say that the lower end of the range and highest end of the range might be a bit off; so maybe we can guess that Niemi might be worth between $2.5 and $3 million.
I’ve noticed lately that the general salary for “franchise” goalies is $5 million. Some get more and others receive less, but that seems like the typical number. Niemi’s only been a full-time netminder for one year (and even then, he shared starts with Cristobal Huet) so it’s understandable that he might not receive the same kind of money. Obviously, being a restricted free agent will also hurt is earning power.
I guess the question might still be: is Niemi worth it? Even at a reasonable $2.5 million, can Chicago afford him? We’ll have to wait and find out.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)