Jun 16, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
A few days ago, I asked PHT readers to assess the value of restricted free agent (and Stanley Cup winning goalie) Antti Niemi. The Chicago Blackhawks salary cap situation is obviously one of the stories of the summer and Niemi’s RFA status could force the team to make some tough decisions.
As you can see from the pie chart below, opinions were generally pretty scattered on his exact value. (Click the image to enlarge the results.)
While “$2.5 million” was the most popular choice (and on some level, seems like the average even if it’s not the consensus), the general range seemed to be “$2 million or less” to as much as $3.5 million. I’d also say that the lower end of the range and highest end of the range might be a bit off; so maybe we can guess that Niemi might be worth between $2.5 and $3 million.
I’ve noticed lately that the general salary for “franchise” goalies is $5 million. Some get more and others receive less, but that seems like the typical number. Niemi’s only been a full-time netminder for one year (and even then, he shared starts with Cristobal Huet) so it’s understandable that he might not receive the same kind of money. Obviously, being a restricted free agent will also hurt is earning power.
I guess the question might still be: is Niemi worth it? Even at a reasonable $2.5 million, can Chicago afford him? We’ll have to wait and find out.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)