Jun 16, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
A few days ago, I asked PHT readers to assess the value of restricted free agent (and Stanley Cup winning goalie) Antti Niemi. The Chicago Blackhawks salary cap situation is obviously one of the stories of the summer and Niemi’s RFA status could force the team to make some tough decisions.
As you can see from the pie chart below, opinions were generally pretty scattered on his exact value. (Click the image to enlarge the results.)
While “$2.5 million” was the most popular choice (and on some level, seems like the average even if it’s not the consensus), the general range seemed to be “$2 million or less” to as much as $3.5 million. I’d also say that the lower end of the range and highest end of the range might be a bit off; so maybe we can guess that Niemi might be worth between $2.5 and $3 million.
I’ve noticed lately that the general salary for “franchise” goalies is $5 million. Some get more and others receive less, but that seems like the typical number. Niemi’s only been a full-time netminder for one year (and even then, he shared starts with Cristobal Huet) so it’s understandable that he might not receive the same kind of money. Obviously, being a restricted free agent will also hurt is earning power.
I guess the question might still be: is Niemi worth it? Even at a reasonable $2.5 million, can Chicago afford him? We’ll have to wait and find out.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)