Jun 16, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
While the Penguins are disappointed they bowed out in the 2010 NHL playoffs against the Canadiens, they will be excited about moving into a brand new facility starting next season, the Consol Energy Center. They’re going to start playing hockey in the new place in style as their first pre-season game of the 2010-2011 season will be against the team they faced off against in two straight Stanley Cup finals, the Detroit Red Wings.
The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their 2010 preseason schedule with the first hockey game ever played at CONSOL Energy Center – Wednesday, Sept. 22 against the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.
The team announced its six-game preseason schedule, which includes home-and-home matchups with Detroit, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The other home games are Saturday, Sept. 25 against Columbus and Tuesday, Sept. 28 against Chicago – both starting at 7 p.m.
See everyone? The NHL season is never all that far away. The Penguins added a third home pre-season game this year to give fans an extra opportunity to check out the new building. Let’s just hope they don’t fall into the trap of charging people regular season prices for tickets.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5