Jun 16, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
While the Penguins are disappointed they bowed out in the 2010 NHL playoffs against the Canadiens, they will be excited about moving into a brand new facility starting next season, the Consol Energy Center. They’re going to start playing hockey in the new place in style as their first pre-season game of the 2010-2011 season will be against the team they faced off against in two straight Stanley Cup finals, the Detroit Red Wings.
The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their 2010 preseason schedule with the first hockey game ever played at CONSOL Energy Center – Wednesday, Sept. 22 against the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.
The team announced its six-game preseason schedule, which includes home-and-home matchups with Detroit, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The other home games are Saturday, Sept. 25 against Columbus and Tuesday, Sept. 28 against Chicago – both starting at 7 p.m.
See everyone? The NHL season is never all that far away. The Penguins added a third home pre-season game this year to give fans an extra opportunity to check out the new building. Let’s just hope they don’t fall into the trap of charging people regular season prices for tickets.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 14
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11