Jun 16, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
While the Penguins are disappointed they bowed out in the 2010 NHL playoffs against the Canadiens, they will be excited about moving into a brand new facility starting next season, the Consol Energy Center. They’re going to start playing hockey in the new place in style as their first pre-season game of the 2010-2011 season will be against the team they faced off against in two straight Stanley Cup finals, the Detroit Red Wings.
The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their 2010 preseason schedule with the first hockey game ever played at CONSOL Energy Center – Wednesday, Sept. 22 against the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.
The team announced its six-game preseason schedule, which includes home-and-home matchups with Detroit, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The other home games are Saturday, Sept. 25 against Columbus and Tuesday, Sept. 28 against Chicago – both starting at 7 p.m.
See everyone? The NHL season is never all that far away. The Penguins added a third home pre-season game this year to give fans an extra opportunity to check out the new building. Let’s just hope they don’t fall into the trap of charging people regular season prices for tickets.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 0
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 12
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins