Jun 16, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
While the Penguins are disappointed they bowed out in the 2010 NHL playoffs against the Canadiens, they will be excited about moving into a brand new facility starting next season, the Consol Energy Center. They’re going to start playing hockey in the new place in style as their first pre-season game of the 2010-2011 season will be against the team they faced off against in two straight Stanley Cup finals, the Detroit Red Wings.
The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their 2010 preseason schedule with the first hockey game ever played at CONSOL Energy Center – Wednesday, Sept. 22 against the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.
The team announced its six-game preseason schedule, which includes home-and-home matchups with Detroit, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The other home games are Saturday, Sept. 25 against Columbus and Tuesday, Sept. 28 against Chicago – both starting at 7 p.m.
See everyone? The NHL season is never all that far away. The Penguins added a third home pre-season game this year to give fans an extra opportunity to check out the new building. Let’s just hope they don’t fall into the trap of charging people regular season prices for tickets.
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 0
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 4
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16