Jun 16, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
While the Penguins are disappointed they bowed out in the 2010 NHL playoffs against the Canadiens, they will be excited about moving into a brand new facility starting next season, the Consol Energy Center. They’re going to start playing hockey in the new place in style as their first pre-season game of the 2010-2011 season will be against the team they faced off against in two straight Stanley Cup finals, the Detroit Red Wings.
The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their 2010 preseason schedule with the first hockey game ever played at CONSOL Energy Center – Wednesday, Sept. 22 against the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.
The team announced its six-game preseason schedule, which includes home-and-home matchups with Detroit, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The other home games are Saturday, Sept. 25 against Columbus and Tuesday, Sept. 28 against Chicago – both starting at 7 p.m.
See everyone? The NHL season is never all that far away. The Penguins added a third home pre-season game this year to give fans an extra opportunity to check out the new building. Let’s just hope they don’t fall into the trap of charging people regular season prices for tickets.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)