Jun 16, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will play an exhibition game against the Tampa Bay Lightning in Winnipeg on Sept. 22. It could be extra-special for “Captain Serious” Jonathan Toews, a native of the Winnipeg area. (Source: AP)
I have to admit, I didn’t even realize (until today) that Winnipeg hosted seven games that didn’t count since 1997. Last year, the Lightning beat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3 in overtime in front of 11,644 fans in Winnipeg.
In the big picture, there’s still an outside chance that the region might host an NHL team after all those years of post-Jets heartache. While Winnipeg is far from a big market, there are still plenty of fans who rue the day the team moved to Phoenix. Oddly enough, as you probably know, the Coyotes are currently the most feasible team to relocate to that region.
More on that sordid little story later, of course.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)