Jun 16, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will play an exhibition game against the Tampa Bay Lightning in Winnipeg on Sept. 22. It could be extra-special for “Captain Serious” Jonathan Toews, a native of the Winnipeg area. (Source: AP)
I have to admit, I didn’t even realize (until today) that Winnipeg hosted seven games that didn’t count since 1997. Last year, the Lightning beat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3 in overtime in front of 11,644 fans in Winnipeg.
In the big picture, there’s still an outside chance that the region might host an NHL team after all those years of post-Jets heartache. While Winnipeg is far from a big market, there are still plenty of fans who rue the day the team moved to Phoenix. Oddly enough, as you probably know, the Coyotes are currently the most feasible team to relocate to that region.
More on that sordid little story later, of course.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)