Jun 16, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks will play an exhibition game against the Tampa Bay Lightning in Winnipeg on Sept. 22. It could be extra-special for “Captain Serious” Jonathan Toews, a native of the Winnipeg area. (Source: AP)
I have to admit, I didn’t even realize (until today) that Winnipeg hosted seven games that didn’t count since 1997. Last year, the Lightning beat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3 in overtime in front of 11,644 fans in Winnipeg.
In the big picture, there’s still an outside chance that the region might host an NHL team after all those years of post-Jets heartache. While Winnipeg is far from a big market, there are still plenty of fans who rue the day the team moved to Phoenix. Oddly enough, as you probably know, the Coyotes are currently the most feasible team to relocate to that region.
More on that sordid little story later, of course.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)