Jun 16, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks will play an exhibition game against the Tampa Bay Lightning in Winnipeg on Sept. 22. It could be extra-special for “Captain Serious” Jonathan Toews, a native of the Winnipeg area. (Source: AP)
I have to admit, I didn’t even realize (until today) that Winnipeg hosted seven games that didn’t count since 1997. Last year, the Lightning beat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3 in overtime in front of 11,644 fans in Winnipeg.
In the big picture, there’s still an outside chance that the region might host an NHL team after all those years of post-Jets heartache. While Winnipeg is far from a big market, there are still plenty of fans who rue the day the team moved to Phoenix. Oddly enough, as you probably know, the Coyotes are currently the most feasible team to relocate to that region.
More on that sordid little story later, of course.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)