Jun 16, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
Next Friday and Saturday brings us the spectacle and pure dumb luck of the NHL entry draft and today the NHL showed off the complete order of picks in a rather seemingly confusing chart to scope out on their site.
Scanning over this shows us that the team with the most picks to work with are the Carolina Hurricanes with eleven, including three in the second round and two in the third round. The amount of value that can be found in those rounds is tremendous and for a team that’s looking to build up the farm while the big club goes into “budget” mode, making the most of those picks would be wise.
Meanwhile San Jose and Dallas will both be twiddling their thumbs or working the phones trying to acquire picks as they’ve each got four picks apiece. Both teams do have their first round picks so they’ve got that going for them. Dallas has their pick in the second, third and fifth round while the Sharks have a third and two fifths. If they were drinking booze instead of drafting players, they’d be ready to party but it appears there’s no one named Jack Daniels available this year.
Carolina isn’t the only team with double-digit picks as both the Islanders and Oilers have ten picks to try and fill out their amateur ranks with. The Islanders have six picks in the top 100, the same number the Hurricanes do. Not too shabby for two teams that were the definition of “shabby” last season.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)