Jun 16, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
Next Friday and Saturday brings us the spectacle and pure dumb luck of the NHL entry draft and today the NHL showed off the complete order of picks in a rather seemingly confusing chart to scope out on their site.
Scanning over this shows us that the team with the most picks to work with are the Carolina Hurricanes with eleven, including three in the second round and two in the third round. The amount of value that can be found in those rounds is tremendous and for a team that’s looking to build up the farm while the big club goes into “budget” mode, making the most of those picks would be wise.
Meanwhile San Jose and Dallas will both be twiddling their thumbs or working the phones trying to acquire picks as they’ve each got four picks apiece. Both teams do have their first round picks so they’ve got that going for them. Dallas has their pick in the second, third and fifth round while the Sharks have a third and two fifths. If they were drinking booze instead of drafting players, they’d be ready to party but it appears there’s no one named Jack Daniels available this year.
Carolina isn’t the only team with double-digit picks as both the Islanders and Oilers have ten picks to try and fill out their amateur ranks with. The Islanders have six picks in the top 100, the same number the Hurricanes do. Not too shabby for two teams that were the definition of “shabby” last season.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)