Jun 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
While they both took divergent paths in the playoffs (one would shrink into healthy scratch mediocrity, the other emerged as a force), Ville Leino and Daniel Carcillo will both go under the knife this summer. Leino will get surgery on his hip while Carcillo will have an offseason procedure for a sports hernia, reports Ed Barkowitz of Philly.com.
The good news is that Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that the team expects both players to be back for training camp.
Leino was mediocre in his 13 regular season with the Flyers after being traded from the Detroit Red Wings, with just two goals and two assists. Of course, he caught fire when the games mattered the most, putting up a stunning 21 points in 19 playoff matches. He’s an unrestricted free agent after the 2010-11 season, so my guess is he wants to be 100 percent to generate a big payday.
Carcillo is a restricted free agent this summer, so who knows if he’ll even be back in Philadelphia? The pest had a solid regular season with 12 goals and 10 assists to go with a slightly-lower-than-normal (for him) 207 PIM. He had two goals and four assists during the playoffs, but his 39 PIM and general antics often proved costly to the team.
Click here for some interesting discussion regarding how Leino (and another pending free agent, Claude Giroux) could affect the team’s salary cap outlook going forward. It’ll be interesting to see if Carcillo will be in that picture, at all.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)