Jun 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
While they both took divergent paths in the playoffs (one would shrink into healthy scratch mediocrity, the other emerged as a force), Ville Leino and Daniel Carcillo will both go under the knife this summer. Leino will get surgery on his hip while Carcillo will have an offseason procedure for a sports hernia, reports Ed Barkowitz of Philly.com.
The good news is that Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that the team expects both players to be back for training camp.
Leino was mediocre in his 13 regular season with the Flyers after being traded from the Detroit Red Wings, with just two goals and two assists. Of course, he caught fire when the games mattered the most, putting up a stunning 21 points in 19 playoff matches. He’s an unrestricted free agent after the 2010-11 season, so my guess is he wants to be 100 percent to generate a big payday.
Carcillo is a restricted free agent this summer, so who knows if he’ll even be back in Philadelphia? The pest had a solid regular season with 12 goals and 10 assists to go with a slightly-lower-than-normal (for him) 207 PIM. He had two goals and four assists during the playoffs, but his 39 PIM and general antics often proved costly to the team.
Click here for some interesting discussion regarding how Leino (and another pending free agent, Claude Giroux) could affect the team’s salary cap outlook going forward. It’ll be interesting to see if Carcillo will be in that picture, at all.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)