Jun 15, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
While they both took divergent paths in the playoffs (one would shrink into healthy scratch mediocrity, the other emerged as a force), Ville Leino and Daniel Carcillo will both go under the knife this summer. Leino will get surgery on his hip while Carcillo will have an offseason procedure for a sports hernia, reports Ed Barkowitz of Philly.com.
The good news is that Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that the team expects both players to be back for training camp.
Leino was mediocre in his 13 regular season with the Flyers after being traded from the Detroit Red Wings, with just two goals and two assists. Of course, he caught fire when the games mattered the most, putting up a stunning 21 points in 19 playoff matches. He’s an unrestricted free agent after the 2010-11 season, so my guess is he wants to be 100 percent to generate a big payday.
Carcillo is a restricted free agent this summer, so who knows if he’ll even be back in Philadelphia? The pest had a solid regular season with 12 goals and 10 assists to go with a slightly-lower-than-normal (for him) 207 PIM. He had two goals and four assists during the playoffs, but his 39 PIM and general antics often proved costly to the team.
Click here for some interesting discussion regarding how Leino (and another pending free agent, Claude Giroux) could affect the team’s salary cap outlook going forward. It’ll be interesting to see if Carcillo will be in that picture, at all.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 0
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)