Jun 15, 2010, 1:58 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have decided not to renew No. 2 center Brendan Morrison’s contract for next season, reports Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post.
The 34-year-old was signed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract last summer in the hopes he could rediscover the point-producing touch he had as a Canuck. But after a fast start in which he scored nine goals and racked up 14 assists in the Caps’ first 29 games, Morrison faded in the second half and was scratched twice in the playoffs.
“We talked to Brendan last week,” McPhee said. “He’s a first class kid, but we aren’t going to renew him.”
I can’t say this is too surprising. If you cannot score much as a member of the Washington Capitals, chances are your hopes of putting up big numbers (or being particularly relevant in the NHL) are pretty slim. This opens up a roster spot for the Caps to find a more productive second center.
My guess is that Morrison could find a job somewhere else in the league, but he’ll probably need to accept the $1.5 million-type deal he received last season. It’s pretty stunning how rapidly his skills eroded, although perhaps he’s just another guy from those Vancouver Canucks team who is suffering from some residual karmic Todd Bertuzzi stink or something. (See: Naslund, Markus)
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)