Jun 15, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have decided not to renew No. 2 center Brendan Morrison’s contract for next season, reports Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post.
The 34-year-old was signed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract last summer in the hopes he could rediscover the point-producing touch he had as a Canuck. But after a fast start in which he scored nine goals and racked up 14 assists in the Caps’ first 29 games, Morrison faded in the second half and was scratched twice in the playoffs.
“We talked to Brendan last week,” McPhee said. “He’s a first class kid, but we aren’t going to renew him.”
I can’t say this is too surprising. If you cannot score much as a member of the Washington Capitals, chances are your hopes of putting up big numbers (or being particularly relevant in the NHL) are pretty slim. This opens up a roster spot for the Caps to find a more productive second center.
My guess is that Morrison could find a job somewhere else in the league, but he’ll probably need to accept the $1.5 million-type deal he received last season. It’s pretty stunning how rapidly his skills eroded, although perhaps he’s just another guy from those Vancouver Canucks team who is suffering from some residual karmic Todd Bertuzzi stink or something. (See: Naslund, Markus)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)