Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The New York Islanders and Doug Weight are reportedly on the verge of agreeing to a new contract that would keep the veteran center in Long Island for at least one more year.
TSN reports that Weight and Islanders GM Garth Snow are just clearing up the bonus structure of the deal, but Snow said that the deal is “in essence, done.”
Weight has been riddled with injuries (53 games played in the 08-09 season, only 36 played last season) and isn’t getting any younger at 39, so this is obviously a lateral move at best. Then again, the American-born playmaker still has enough passion to lace up the skates for another season and the Islanders aren’t exactly flooded with talent at the moment.
While I’d shoot down any Hall of Fame arguments (seriously, are people that enamored with quantity over quality?), it really is stunning how prolific Weight’s career has been. He has 1,024 points in 1,220 regular season games along with 72 points in 97 playoff games.
Weight is far past his prime, though. His last three season totals are mediocre at best (17 points in 09-10, 38 in 08-09 and 25 in 07-08). It’s obvious that his career is winding down, but dignified or not, Weight has the right to decide when he’s ready to retire. Either way, though, my guess is that the Islanders – and the NHL – won’t need him much longer.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)