Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The New York Islanders and Doug Weight are reportedly on the verge of agreeing to a new contract that would keep the veteran center in Long Island for at least one more year.
TSN reports that Weight and Islanders GM Garth Snow are just clearing up the bonus structure of the deal, but Snow said that the deal is “in essence, done.”
Weight has been riddled with injuries (53 games played in the 08-09 season, only 36 played last season) and isn’t getting any younger at 39, so this is obviously a lateral move at best. Then again, the American-born playmaker still has enough passion to lace up the skates for another season and the Islanders aren’t exactly flooded with talent at the moment.
While I’d shoot down any Hall of Fame arguments (seriously, are people that enamored with quantity over quality?), it really is stunning how prolific Weight’s career has been. He has 1,024 points in 1,220 regular season games along with 72 points in 97 playoff games.
Weight is far past his prime, though. His last three season totals are mediocre at best (17 points in 09-10, 38 in 08-09 and 25 in 07-08). It’s obvious that his career is winding down, but dignified or not, Weight has the right to decide when he’s ready to retire. Either way, though, my guess is that the Islanders – and the NHL – won’t need him much longer.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)