Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The New York Islanders and Doug Weight are reportedly on the verge of agreeing to a new contract that would keep the veteran center in Long Island for at least one more year.
TSN reports that Weight and Islanders GM Garth Snow are just clearing up the bonus structure of the deal, but Snow said that the deal is “in essence, done.”
Weight has been riddled with injuries (53 games played in the 08-09 season, only 36 played last season) and isn’t getting any younger at 39, so this is obviously a lateral move at best. Then again, the American-born playmaker still has enough passion to lace up the skates for another season and the Islanders aren’t exactly flooded with talent at the moment.
While I’d shoot down any Hall of Fame arguments (seriously, are people that enamored with quantity over quality?), it really is stunning how prolific Weight’s career has been. He has 1,024 points in 1,220 regular season games along with 72 points in 97 playoff games.
Weight is far past his prime, though. His last three season totals are mediocre at best (17 points in 09-10, 38 in 08-09 and 25 in 07-08). It’s obvious that his career is winding down, but dignified or not, Weight has the right to decide when he’s ready to retire. Either way, though, my guess is that the Islanders – and the NHL – won’t need him much longer.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 5
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 6
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)