Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
The New York Islanders and Doug Weight are reportedly on the verge of agreeing to a new contract that would keep the veteran center in Long Island for at least one more year.
TSN reports that Weight and Islanders GM Garth Snow are just clearing up the bonus structure of the deal, but Snow said that the deal is “in essence, done.”
Weight has been riddled with injuries (53 games played in the 08-09 season, only 36 played last season) and isn’t getting any younger at 39, so this is obviously a lateral move at best. Then again, the American-born playmaker still has enough passion to lace up the skates for another season and the Islanders aren’t exactly flooded with talent at the moment.
While I’d shoot down any Hall of Fame arguments (seriously, are people that enamored with quantity over quality?), it really is stunning how prolific Weight’s career has been. He has 1,024 points in 1,220 regular season games along with 72 points in 97 playoff games.
Weight is far past his prime, though. His last three season totals are mediocre at best (17 points in 09-10, 38 in 08-09 and 25 in 07-08). It’s obvious that his career is winding down, but dignified or not, Weight has the right to decide when he’s ready to retire. Either way, though, my guess is that the Islanders – and the NHL – won’t need him much longer.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)