Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The New York Islanders and Doug Weight are reportedly on the verge of agreeing to a new contract that would keep the veteran center in Long Island for at least one more year.
TSN reports that Weight and Islanders GM Garth Snow are just clearing up the bonus structure of the deal, but Snow said that the deal is “in essence, done.”
Weight has been riddled with injuries (53 games played in the 08-09 season, only 36 played last season) and isn’t getting any younger at 39, so this is obviously a lateral move at best. Then again, the American-born playmaker still has enough passion to lace up the skates for another season and the Islanders aren’t exactly flooded with talent at the moment.
While I’d shoot down any Hall of Fame arguments (seriously, are people that enamored with quantity over quality?), it really is stunning how prolific Weight’s career has been. He has 1,024 points in 1,220 regular season games along with 72 points in 97 playoff games.
Weight is far past his prime, though. His last three season totals are mediocre at best (17 points in 09-10, 38 in 08-09 and 25 in 07-08). It’s obvious that his career is winding down, but dignified or not, Weight has the right to decide when he’s ready to retire. Either way, though, my guess is that the Islanders – and the NHL – won’t need him much longer.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)