Jun 15, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
While it’s far from official, there are some well-founded rumors that Jonathan Toews will be the cover star for EA Sports’ upcoming NHL ’11 video game. Puck Daddy and various other outlets caught wind of the software giant briefly putting up a page with a mockup of the game cover on its Web site, although it was quickly taken down.
On some level it’s a brilliant choice. After all, Toews won a gold medal, Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe all in the same calendar year (let alone season). Really, if there’s a “player of 2010″ so far, there’s little doubt that Captain Serious is the No. 1 choice. Naturally, EA will also benefit from the wild popularity of the Chicago Blackhawks as well.
It’s also a curious decision, though. For one thing, it’s odd that the company chose two different players from the same team in consecutive years (Patrick Kane was on the cover of NHL ’10). That’s kind of like Kobe Bryant being on the cover of NBA Live one year and Shaq following him up, although I’m fairly certain that Toews and Kane don’t despise each other (and neither one will ask for clarification on the flavor of their … nevermind).
Some also point out that Ryan Miller would have been a good choice. He wouldn’t be the first goalie cover star either, as Marty Turco and John Vanbiesbrouck are among the netminders who appeared on the front of hockey video game cases in the past. Miller became close to a household name with his impressive Olympic run for Team USA.
I’m curious as to why Sidney Crosby hasn’t been on a video game cover yet, especially since Alex Ovechkin was the cover star for both major hockey video game titles. Is he too expensive? Do game companies think that he’d be polarizing? Does he hate video games? We need answers to these questions.
One interesting idea for the future: maybe EA should consider going with “localized” cover stars. Maybe at some point EA will try to take advantage of collector culture and come out with “special editions.” Perhaps one star per division or a Canadian/American/European version?
Anyway, allow me to hand out a hasty congratulations to (unofficial) cover star Jonathan Toews. It’s just another in a long line of honors for the young center.
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 10
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)