Jun 15, 2010, 8:59 PM EDT
Laraque had one year remaining on a US$4.5 million three-year contract.
The buyout is worth $1 million and will be spread out over the next two years, meaning the Canadiens will receive an extra $500,000 cap hit through the 2011-12 season.
What’s screwy about this situation is that the Habs declared in January that they would buy out Laraque which left Laraque always sitting as a healthy scratch on Canadiens game reports. Not that that’s awkward or anything. Of course, for all the good works that tough guy Laraque is doing on behalf of the NHL for charity to help out earthquake-ravaged Haiti (Laraque’s family hails from Haiti), perhaps it’s worth it to keep a guy like that on hand to put on a good face.
Will someone else be interested in Laraque? I’d say that the market for an enforcer who doesn’t quite enforce anymore (28 PIM in a shortened 09-10 season, 61 PIM in 08-09) and is an injury liability (still missed a month of play in 09-10, 33 games in 08-09) that comes with the sort of price tag Laraque was getting from Montreal will be really close to being non-existent.
Then again, with an annual period where you get to buyout players it’s become a sort of annual event, one that should be named. My suggestion: Yashin Festivus, named after Alexei Yashin who the Islanders will be paying off until the end of the 2013-2014 season. We’ll call it “festivus” because much like the Seinfeld holiday, there will be many airings of grievances… Just don’t count on any feats of strength.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)