Jun 14, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
As we expected, the Toronto Maple Leafs named Dion Phaneuf their newly minted captain during a press conference today. There was more news than that, though, as the Leafs look to be echoing their past in other ways too. Check out their “new” jerseys, which as Icethetics points out, bring back a shoulder patch used 10 years ago and also features two horizontal stripes added to the bottom of the sweater. (
Now, here’s a look at the rather plain duds they were wearing last season.
On some level, every season is a “big” season in the pressure cooker that is Toronto (even if most seasons qualify as a disappointment). Still, for GM Brian Burke, Phaneuf and coach Ron Wilson, the 2010-11 season could very well be a make-or-break campaign.
If nothing else, they’ll look quite a bit more stylish, even if this experiment fails.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)