Jun 14, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
As we expected, the Toronto Maple Leafs named Dion Phaneuf their newly minted captain during a press conference today. There was more news than that, though, as the Leafs look to be echoing their past in other ways too. Check out their “new” jerseys, which as Icethetics points out, bring back a shoulder patch used 10 years ago and also features two horizontal stripes added to the bottom of the sweater. (
Now, here’s a look at the rather plain duds they were wearing last season.
On some level, every season is a “big” season in the pressure cooker that is Toronto (even if most seasons qualify as a disappointment). Still, for GM Brian Burke, Phaneuf and coach Ron Wilson, the 2010-11 season could very well be a make-or-break campaign.
If nothing else, they’ll look quite a bit more stylish, even if this experiment fails.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 7
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 56
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (56)