Jun 14, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
As we expected, the Toronto Maple Leafs named Dion Phaneuf their newly minted captain during a press conference today. There was more news than that, though, as the Leafs look to be echoing their past in other ways too. Check out their “new” jerseys, which as Icethetics points out, bring back a shoulder patch used 10 years ago and also features two horizontal stripes added to the bottom of the sweater. (
Now, here’s a look at the rather plain duds they were wearing last season.
On some level, every season is a “big” season in the pressure cooker that is Toronto (even if most seasons qualify as a disappointment). Still, for GM Brian Burke, Phaneuf and coach Ron Wilson, the 2010-11 season could very well be a make-or-break campaign.
If nothing else, they’ll look quite a bit more stylish, even if this experiment fails.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)