Jun 14, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
As we expected, the Toronto Maple Leafs named Dion Phaneuf their newly minted captain during a press conference today. There was more news than that, though, as the Leafs look to be echoing their past in other ways too. Check out their “new” jerseys, which as Icethetics points out, bring back a shoulder patch used 10 years ago and also features two horizontal stripes added to the bottom of the sweater. (
Now, here’s a look at the rather plain duds they were wearing last season.
On some level, every season is a “big” season in the pressure cooker that is Toronto (even if most seasons qualify as a disappointment). Still, for GM Brian Burke, Phaneuf and coach Ron Wilson, the 2010-11 season could very well be a make-or-break campaign.
If nothing else, they’ll look quite a bit more stylish, even if this experiment fails.
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)