Jun 14, 2010, 8:30 PM EST
There’s been speculation this was coming ever since last week, but
with the Stanley Cup finals now over we have the formal announcement
coming: Rob Blake will retire, announcing his retirement at a 11 a.m.
press conference on Friday morning.
Since the only real suspense surrounding Blake is whether he’ll
immediately slide into a front-office job someplace or take some time to
decompress, the logical talking point then becomes who will succeed the
40-year-old defenseman as Sharks’ captain. The obvious co-favorites
for the ‘C’ at this point would have to be Dan Boyle or Joe Pavelski,
but don’t look for any answers this Friday.
Pollack goes on to say that he doesn’t expect for the next captain to
be announced right away.
It was hoped that Blake would provide the same presence on the San
Jose Sharks blueline that Chris Pronger did for the Flyers, yet was
never able to help the team get over that hump and into the Cup finals.
was first drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in 1988 and spent 12 seasons
in LA before moving onto Colorado via a midseason trade in 2000. He
spent five seasons with the Avalanche, winning a Stanley Cup in 2001
before heading back to Los Angeles in 2006.
Blake will finish his
career with 240 goals, 537 assists and 777 career points in 1,270 games
in the NHL.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)