Jun 14, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
There’s been speculation this was coming ever since last week, but
with the Stanley Cup finals now over we have the formal announcement
coming: Rob Blake will retire, announcing his retirement at a 11 a.m.
press conference on Friday morning.
Since the only real suspense surrounding Blake is whether he’ll
immediately slide into a front-office job someplace or take some time to
decompress, the logical talking point then becomes who will succeed the
40-year-old defenseman as Sharks’ captain. The obvious co-favorites
for the ‘C’ at this point would have to be Dan Boyle or Joe Pavelski,
but don’t look for any answers this Friday.
Pollack goes on to say that he doesn’t expect for the next captain to
be announced right away.
It was hoped that Blake would provide the same presence on the San
Jose Sharks blueline that Chris Pronger did for the Flyers, yet was
never able to help the team get over that hump and into the Cup finals.
was first drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in 1988 and spent 12 seasons
in LA before moving onto Colorado via a midseason trade in 2000. He
spent five seasons with the Avalanche, winning a Stanley Cup in 2001
before heading back to Los Angeles in 2006.
Blake will finish his
career with 240 goals, 537 assists and 777 career points in 1,270 games
in the NHL.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)