Jun 14, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
There’s been speculation this was coming ever since last week, but
with the Stanley Cup finals now over we have the formal announcement
coming: Rob Blake will retire, announcing his retirement at a 11 a.m.
press conference on Friday morning.
Since the only real suspense surrounding Blake is whether he’ll
immediately slide into a front-office job someplace or take some time to
decompress, the logical talking point then becomes who will succeed the
40-year-old defenseman as Sharks’ captain. The obvious co-favorites
for the ‘C’ at this point would have to be Dan Boyle or Joe Pavelski,
but don’t look for any answers this Friday.
Pollack goes on to say that he doesn’t expect for the next captain to
be announced right away.
It was hoped that Blake would provide the same presence on the San
Jose Sharks blueline that Chris Pronger did for the Flyers, yet was
never able to help the team get over that hump and into the Cup finals.
was first drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in 1988 and spent 12 seasons
in LA before moving onto Colorado via a midseason trade in 2000. He
spent five seasons with the Avalanche, winning a Stanley Cup in 2001
before heading back to Los Angeles in 2006.
Blake will finish his
career with 240 goals, 537 assists and 777 career points in 1,270 games
in the NHL.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)