Jun 14, 2010, 8:30 PM EST
There’s been speculation this was coming ever since last week, but
with the Stanley Cup finals now over we have the formal announcement
coming: Rob Blake will retire, announcing his retirement at a 11 a.m.
press conference on Friday morning.
Since the only real suspense surrounding Blake is whether he’ll
immediately slide into a front-office job someplace or take some time to
decompress, the logical talking point then becomes who will succeed the
40-year-old defenseman as Sharks’ captain. The obvious co-favorites
for the ‘C’ at this point would have to be Dan Boyle or Joe Pavelski,
but don’t look for any answers this Friday.
Pollack goes on to say that he doesn’t expect for the next captain to
be announced right away.
It was hoped that Blake would provide the same presence on the San
Jose Sharks blueline that Chris Pronger did for the Flyers, yet was
never able to help the team get over that hump and into the Cup finals.
was first drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in 1988 and spent 12 seasons
in LA before moving onto Colorado via a midseason trade in 2000. He
spent five seasons with the Avalanche, winning a Stanley Cup in 2001
before heading back to Los Angeles in 2006.
Blake will finish his
career with 240 goals, 537 assists and 777 career points in 1,270 games
in the NHL.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)