Jun 14, 2010, 10:35 AM EDT
He’s not a big name goalie and he contributed little to their unexpected run to the Stanley Cup finals, but Johan “don’t call me Bob” Backlund – not Michael Leighton – is the latest goalie to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers. TSN reports that the Flyers extended the contract of the Swedish goalie (who managed to start one game this season thanks to the team’s goalie apocalypse) for two years.
There is one paragraph from that TSN story that I think is a little bit confounding.
Backlund is expected to serve as the Flyers main backup next season. Who he will be backing up remains to be seen as both Michael Leighton and Ray Emery are set to become unrestricted free agents on July 1st.
Odd, I was under the impression that the resilient Brian Boucher would be the team’s go-to backup while Philly sorts through Emery (unlikely), Leighton (somewhat unlikely) or Free Agent Goalie X. Unless, of course, the Flyers go even more against public opinion/rational thought and roll with a Boucher-Backlund duo as their goalie tandem …
That actually brings me to another question: is this deal a two-way contract? Perhaps I’m a little rusty on the age limits for this type of contract (at 28, is Backlund too old to be eligible?) but if not, I’d assume the Flyers would prefer some minor league maneuverability with such a “green” goalie.
If it’s a two-way deal, then I’d say it’s an OK move by the Stanley Cup runners-up. They learned last season that they need plenty of depth in net.
My guess is the next couple of weeks will be heavy with contract extensions, rumors about negotiations and – of course – the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Keep checking Pro Hockey Talk for the latest news regarding the always-busy month of June.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 3
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 13
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 16
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)