Jun 13, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
McCosky of The Detroit News has an interesting column up about the
Detroit Red Wings and their attempt to re-sign Todd Bertuzzi. It seems
that while it might have been thought Bertuzzi would be easy to sign —
perhaps for a bit of a paycut — it turns out that it appears Bertuzzi
is preparing to test the free agent market.
But you can’t blame Holland for holding the line, either. We’re
assuming the line is $1 million, though we don’t know for sure. But if
you do the math, Holland would be hard-pressed to pay Bertuzzi much more
than that and still be able to sign all of the restricted free agents.
doesn’t make sense to keep a 35-year-old Bertuzzi at the expense of
Drew Miller, Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader or Patrick Eaves.
Such is always the issue in the times of free agency, as teams must
decide between restricted free agents and veterans who might be on their
way out. Bertuzzi is certainly a valuable asset to the Red Wings, and
he carried this team at times during the season. But the reality is he’s
35 years old and the Red Wings are going to have to find ways to keep
their up and coming young players.
If it is true that Bertuzzi is looking for at least $1.5 million next
season, then chances are he won’t be in Detroit next season. Currently
the Red Wings are about $4.5 million under the cap for next season with
17 players under contract; that’s six roster spots to lock up, and
giving $1.5 million of that to Bertuzzi is likely a bit too much for Ken
Holland to stomach.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)