Jun 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
Per TSN, and
according to the Swedish newspaper Expressen, Peter Forsberg was offered
the chance to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers on March 2nd.
“Yeah, it’s true,” Forsberg told Expressen. “But I felt that I wasn’t
in good enough shape to go.”
“Obviously it would’ve been cool since I know so many of those guys
from my time with the team,” Forsberg told Expressen.
At the time, the Flyers were struggling to stay in the playoff hunt
with goaltending questions and injuries to both Jeff Carter and Simon
Gagne. Forsberg stated that he had his own injuries to deal with, which
prevented him from taking up
Mike Paul Holmgren on his offer.
Forsberg still has not decided on a return to the NHL, and you wonder
if healthy how much of a difference he would have made for the the
Flyers. There’s no doubt his leadership and experience would have been
invaluable, but I doubt that his production would have been a difference
maker for the Flyers.
He was invisible while playing with Sweden during the Olympics, and
is nowhere near the player he was just four or five years ago. Still,
Forsberg back on the Flyers would have been a very interesting
combination as the team geared up for the playoffs.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)