Jun 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
Per TSN, and
according to the Swedish newspaper Expressen, Peter Forsberg was offered
the chance to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers on March 2nd.
“Yeah, it’s true,” Forsberg told Expressen. “But I felt that I wasn’t
in good enough shape to go.”
“Obviously it would’ve been cool since I know so many of those guys
from my time with the team,” Forsberg told Expressen.
At the time, the Flyers were struggling to stay in the playoff hunt
with goaltending questions and injuries to both Jeff Carter and Simon
Gagne. Forsberg stated that he had his own injuries to deal with, which
prevented him from taking up
Mike Paul Holmgren on his offer.
Forsberg still has not decided on a return to the NHL, and you wonder
if healthy how much of a difference he would have made for the the
Flyers. There’s no doubt his leadership and experience would have been
invaluable, but I doubt that his production would have been a difference
maker for the Flyers.
He was invisible while playing with Sweden during the Olympics, and
is nowhere near the player he was just four or five years ago. Still,
Forsberg back on the Flyers would have been a very interesting
combination as the team geared up for the playoffs.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)