Jun 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Per TSN, and
according to the Swedish newspaper Expressen, Peter Forsberg was offered
the chance to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers on March 2nd.
“Yeah, it’s true,” Forsberg told Expressen. “But I felt that I wasn’t
in good enough shape to go.”
“Obviously it would’ve been cool since I know so many of those guys
from my time with the team,” Forsberg told Expressen.
At the time, the Flyers were struggling to stay in the playoff hunt
with goaltending questions and injuries to both Jeff Carter and Simon
Gagne. Forsberg stated that he had his own injuries to deal with, which
prevented him from taking up
Mike Paul Holmgren on his offer.
Forsberg still has not decided on a return to the NHL, and you wonder
if healthy how much of a difference he would have made for the the
Flyers. There’s no doubt his leadership and experience would have been
invaluable, but I doubt that his production would have been a difference
maker for the Flyers.
He was invisible while playing with Sweden during the Olympics, and
is nowhere near the player he was just four or five years ago. Still,
Forsberg back on the Flyers would have been a very interesting
combination as the team geared up for the playoffs.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 21
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 48
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)