Jun 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Per TSN, and
according to the Swedish newspaper Expressen, Peter Forsberg was offered
the chance to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers on March 2nd.
“Yeah, it’s true,” Forsberg told Expressen. “But I felt that I wasn’t
in good enough shape to go.”
“Obviously it would’ve been cool since I know so many of those guys
from my time with the team,” Forsberg told Expressen.
At the time, the Flyers were struggling to stay in the playoff hunt
with goaltending questions and injuries to both Jeff Carter and Simon
Gagne. Forsberg stated that he had his own injuries to deal with, which
prevented him from taking up
Mike Paul Holmgren on his offer.
Forsberg still has not decided on a return to the NHL, and you wonder
if healthy how much of a difference he would have made for the the
Flyers. There’s no doubt his leadership and experience would have been
invaluable, but I doubt that his production would have been a difference
maker for the Flyers.
He was invisible while playing with Sweden during the Olympics, and
is nowhere near the player he was just four or five years ago. Still,
Forsberg back on the Flyers would have been a very interesting
combination as the team geared up for the playoffs.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)