Jun 13, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s unfortunate that the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t been able to just sit back and enjoy their Cup win.
Oh, I’m sure they’ve been enjoying themselves individually. From what I’ve heard, the players have torn the city of Chicago upside down since their Wednesday night victory and I don’t doubt that the young superstars have had the times of the lives. As they should.
Yet for the team, as soon as that Cup was back in Chicago they had to start dealing with questions about the changes that will be needed next season. For the players, despite all of the good times, reality is setting in that there are a number of them that won’t be back in Chicago next season.
“We had a few moments when all the guys were together the other night and we realized a lot of guys are going to be moving in different directions,” said center John Madden, who will be an unrestricted free agent July 1. “(Salary) cap issues are going to be a problem. We have a good team, great guys and unfortunately we have to move on.”
The players know the situation this team is in, and you have to think they realize just how great it was for them to win the Cup this season. After the Blackhawks went all in to win this season, you have to wonder if this was their one and only chance to achieve NHL glory.
This team might not look completely different in a few months, but there will be some major changes. With the offseason so short for the NHL, that means these players don’t have very long to celebrate before reality comes crashing down.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)