Jun 13, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s unfortunate that the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t been able to just sit back and enjoy their Cup win.
Oh, I’m sure they’ve been enjoying themselves individually. From what I’ve heard, the players have torn the city of Chicago upside down since their Wednesday night victory and I don’t doubt that the young superstars have had the times of the lives. As they should.
Yet for the team, as soon as that Cup was back in Chicago they had to start dealing with questions about the changes that will be needed next season. For the players, despite all of the good times, reality is setting in that there are a number of them that won’t be back in Chicago next season.
“We had a few moments when all the guys were together the other night and we realized a lot of guys are going to be moving in different directions,” said center John Madden, who will be an unrestricted free agent July 1. “(Salary) cap issues are going to be a problem. We have a good team, great guys and unfortunately we have to move on.”
The players know the situation this team is in, and you have to think they realize just how great it was for them to win the Cup this season. After the Blackhawks went all in to win this season, you have to wonder if this was their one and only chance to achieve NHL glory.
This team might not look completely different in a few months, but there will be some major changes. With the offseason so short for the NHL, that means these players don’t have very long to celebrate before reality comes crashing down.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 6
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 15
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 34
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 32
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)