Jun 13, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
It’s unfortunate that the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t been able to just sit back and enjoy their Cup win.
Oh, I’m sure they’ve been enjoying themselves individually. From what I’ve heard, the players have torn the city of Chicago upside down since their Wednesday night victory and I don’t doubt that the young superstars have had the times of the lives. As they should.
Yet for the team, as soon as that Cup was back in Chicago they had to start dealing with questions about the changes that will be needed next season. For the players, despite all of the good times, reality is setting in that there are a number of them that won’t be back in Chicago next season.
“We had a few moments when all the guys were together the other night and we realized a lot of guys are going to be moving in different directions,” said center John Madden, who will be an unrestricted free agent July 1. “(Salary) cap issues are going to be a problem. We have a good team, great guys and unfortunately we have to move on.”
The players know the situation this team is in, and you have to think they realize just how great it was for them to win the Cup this season. After the Blackhawks went all in to win this season, you have to wonder if this was their one and only chance to achieve NHL glory.
This team might not look completely different in a few months, but there will be some major changes. With the offseason so short for the NHL, that means these players don’t have very long to celebrate before reality comes crashing down.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 45
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)