Jun 12, 2010, 11:25 AM EDT
From what I can remember, there really isn’t much precedent for Antti Niemi’s “rookie” season, when it comes to contract negotiations.
The 26-year-old Finnish goalie played 39 games regular season along with 22 in the playoffs, backstopping the Chicago Blackhawks to its first Stanley Cup in almost 50 years. His save percentage was very similar in the playoffs (91%) and the regular season (91.2) while his goals against average inflated slightly when the games mattered the most (2.32 in the regular season vs. 2.63 in the postseason). Perhaps most importantly, Niemi was 26-7-6 during the season and 16-5-1 in the playoffs.
His playoff run was far from spotless, but Niemi still played a bit above average (91% is pretty solid). There were games when he absolutely slammed the door during an onslaught (see: most of the San Jose Sharks series and some of the third periods against the Flyers), while others he won merely because his team can fill the net like few others in the NHL.
According to a story in the National Post, Niemi probably won’t take much of a discount to stay with the Blackhawks. Can someone say that the team truly “needs” him, though? While he was a clear upgrade over the oft-criticized Cristobal Huet, he’s a lot like a solid pitcher who puts up an amazing win-loss record because he gets unreal run support.
So, it’s basically tough to say how much he’s really worth. Being a restricted free agent, teams would have to give up a draft pick (or three) to sign Niemi. It’s not as simple as just out-bidding Chicago. That being said, a Stanley Cup can really bolster a goalie’s resume. I’d say he’s liable to sign a contract in the range of a $3 million annual cap hit, but it could be more if a different team is smitten enough to send an offer sheet his way.
What do you think, fair PHT reader? Cast your vote in the poll below.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)