Jun 12, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
Looking for “free candy”? You might have to wait 4-6 weeks. TSN reports that Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik underwent sports hernia surgery.
It’s being reported that Orpik is expected to be back in time for the Penguins’ training camp in September.
Orpik has a career-high 25 points during the 2009-10 season despite playing with the hernia problem for the second half of the season, including the Olympics. The gritty defenseman is a regular companion to Penguins free-agent-to-be Sergei Gonchar, providing a defensive lean to the pairing and thus allowing Gonchar to occasionally push the envelope in the offensive end.
While there are times when Orpik’s minimal puck moving abilities and shaky decision making can make him a bit of a liability, he’s a valuable hitter who can skate a bit to boot. With Gonchar’s likely departure, Pittsburgh will lean more heavily on blueliners Orpik, Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski. The team hopes Orpik will be 100 percent to start the 2010-11 campaign.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 12
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)