Jun 12, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Looking for “free candy”? You might have to wait 4-6 weeks. TSN reports that Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik underwent sports hernia surgery.
It’s being reported that Orpik is expected to be back in time for the Penguins’ training camp in September.
Orpik has a career-high 25 points during the 2009-10 season despite playing with the hernia problem for the second half of the season, including the Olympics. The gritty defenseman is a regular companion to Penguins free-agent-to-be Sergei Gonchar, providing a defensive lean to the pairing and thus allowing Gonchar to occasionally push the envelope in the offensive end.
While there are times when Orpik’s minimal puck moving abilities and shaky decision making can make him a bit of a liability, he’s a valuable hitter who can skate a bit to boot. With Gonchar’s likely departure, Pittsburgh will lean more heavily on blueliners Orpik, Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski. The team hopes Orpik will be 100 percent to start the 2010-11 campaign.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic