Jun 12, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
With the World Cup tournament kicking into high gear while the Stanley Cup finals concluded on Wednesday, there’s one other Cup being fought over right now. That other tournament would be the AHL’s Calder Cup championship.
Last night, the Hershey Bears took a 3-2 series lead over the Texas Stars thanks to a 2-1 overtime win by way of a Alexandre Giroux game-winner.
Here’s more from the AHL.
Giroux collected a bouncing puck in the right slot and sent a wrist shot through the five hole of Stars netminder Matt Climie for his 14th goal of the postseason (14-11-25), tied with Texas’ Jamie Benn (14-12-26) for the AHL lead.
With the victory, Hershey improved to 8-1 in overtime during these playoffs and will now have two chances on home ice to clinch its 11th Calder Cup title and second in as many years. Game 6 is on Monday at the Giant Center, while a potential Game 7 would be on Wednesday.
The road team has won each of the first five games in this series.
Giroux, who followed up a 60-goal regular-season in 2008-09 with 50 more goals for Hershey during the 2009-10 campaign, became the eighth different Bears skater to nab an overtime goal this postseason, joining Chris Bourque, Mathieu Perreault, Kyle Wilson, Francois Bouchard, Jay Beagle, Boyd Kane, and Andrew Joudrey.
Defenseman Karl Alzner and John Carlson – both highly-touted first-round draft picks by the parent Washington Capitals – earned assists on Giroux’s game-winning tally.
If you’re hockey starved, a fan of the two affiliates’ franchises or just want to see some great minor league hockey, the NHL Network is televising the rest of the series. The remaining games take place on Monday and Wednesday (if necessary).
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)