Jun 12, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
With the World Cup tournament kicking into high gear while the Stanley Cup finals concluded on Wednesday, there’s one other Cup being fought over right now. That other tournament would be the AHL’s Calder Cup championship.
Last night, the Hershey Bears took a 3-2 series lead over the Texas Stars thanks to a 2-1 overtime win by way of a Alexandre Giroux game-winner.
Here’s more from the AHL.
Giroux collected a bouncing puck in the right slot and sent a wrist shot through the five hole of Stars netminder Matt Climie for his 14th goal of the postseason (14-11-25), tied with Texas’ Jamie Benn (14-12-26) for the AHL lead.
With the victory, Hershey improved to 8-1 in overtime during these playoffs and will now have two chances on home ice to clinch its 11th Calder Cup title and second in as many years. Game 6 is on Monday at the Giant Center, while a potential Game 7 would be on Wednesday.
The road team has won each of the first five games in this series.
Giroux, who followed up a 60-goal regular-season in 2008-09 with 50 more goals for Hershey during the 2009-10 campaign, became the eighth different Bears skater to nab an overtime goal this postseason, joining Chris Bourque, Mathieu Perreault, Kyle Wilson, Francois Bouchard, Jay Beagle, Boyd Kane, and Andrew Joudrey.
Defenseman Karl Alzner and John Carlson – both highly-touted first-round draft picks by the parent Washington Capitals – earned assists on Giroux’s game-winning tally.
If you’re hockey starved, a fan of the two affiliates’ franchises or just want to see some great minor league hockey, the NHL Network is televising the rest of the series. The remaining games take place on Monday and Wednesday (if necessary).
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)