Jun 12, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
While Stan Bowman was the Chicago Blackhawks’ official GM during the 2009-10 season, there’s no doubt that former GM (and recently hired Florida Panthers GM) Dale Tallon’s fingerprints were all over that Cup winning team. Of course, a negative Nancy would say that he is also responsible for the ticking time bomb that is their salary cap situation.
So even though he was (somewhat callously) fired after “Faxgate” last summer, it’s nice to hear that the Blackhawks organization is going the classy route and sending him a championship ring. Steve Gorten from the Sun Sentinel reports on the smart move.
It’s good to see Blackhawks president John F. McDonough will do the right thing and give Dale Tallon a Stanley Cup ring.
McDonough told Chicago radio station ESPN 1000 today that Tallon “had an immeasurable impact on this franchise. He will absolutely get a ring and he deserves it.”
Tallon has been general manager of the Panthers for a few weeks now, but that hasn’t lessened his passion for the Blackhawks.
Tallon helped turn around the Blackhawks when they were in a dire state, so you never know. He might be able to help the Florida Panthers rise from the ashes of mediocrity. Even though the ex-GM wasn’t an official member of the front office when Jonathan Toews raised the Cup, they wouldn’t have been there without his guidance.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 1
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 29
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 76
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)