Jun 11, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
At 40 years old, it’s far from stunning that all signs point to Rob Blake retiring. Mark Emmons of the Mercury News reports that Blake will probably make that announcement sometime next week.
The formal announcement is not expected to come until next week. On Wednesday, both the Sharks and Blake declined to comment.
But his retirement, first reported by Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, is expected. It had been clear for months that Blake, 40, was leaning toward hanging up his skates after the season. And when the Sharks were eliminated from the postseason by Chicago, Blake sounded as if he only needed a few weeks away before making it official.
Blake made a big impact during his two seasons in San Jose. A steadying presence in the locker room, Blake was praised by teammates for his quiet leadership. So it was no surprise when he was named team captain last fall, taking over the role from Patrick Marleau.
His decision marks the first domino to tumble in what probably will be a busy Sharks offseason. Marleau and goalie Evgeni Nabokov become unrestricted free agents July 1. Among other pressing business is re-signing young standouts Joe Pavelski and Devin Setoguchi, who are restricted free agents.
Rob Blake has had an excellent (probably Hall of Fame-worthy) 20-year career in the NHL as a member of the Los Angeles Kings, Colorado Avalanche and San Jose Sharks. He has 777 career regular season points and 73 points in the playoffs. He also won a Cup with the Avs during the 2000-01 season.
We’ll probably go more in-depth regarding Burke’s career once he makes his retirement official.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)