Jun 11, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
At 40 years old, it’s far from stunning that all signs point to Rob Blake retiring. Mark Emmons of the Mercury News reports that Blake will probably make that announcement sometime next week.
The formal announcement is not expected to come until next week. On Wednesday, both the Sharks and Blake declined to comment.
But his retirement, first reported by Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, is expected. It had been clear for months that Blake, 40, was leaning toward hanging up his skates after the season. And when the Sharks were eliminated from the postseason by Chicago, Blake sounded as if he only needed a few weeks away before making it official.
Blake made a big impact during his two seasons in San Jose. A steadying presence in the locker room, Blake was praised by teammates for his quiet leadership. So it was no surprise when he was named team captain last fall, taking over the role from Patrick Marleau.
His decision marks the first domino to tumble in what probably will be a busy Sharks offseason. Marleau and goalie Evgeni Nabokov become unrestricted free agents July 1. Among other pressing business is re-signing young standouts Joe Pavelski and Devin Setoguchi, who are restricted free agents.
Rob Blake has had an excellent (probably Hall of Fame-worthy) 20-year career in the NHL as a member of the Los Angeles Kings, Colorado Avalanche and San Jose Sharks. He has 777 career regular season points and 73 points in the playoffs. He also won a Cup with the Avs during the 2000-01 season.
We’ll probably go more in-depth regarding Burke’s career once he makes his retirement official.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)