Jun 11, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
So, it seems like that whole “Stanley Cup” thing is kind of a big deal to the people of Chicago. The Chicago Sun-Times reports that the victory parade garnered more than two million screaming revelers.
With a 49-year Stanley Cup drought finally over, the City of Chicago estimated over 2 million ecstatic Blackhawks fans basked in the glory of the hockey championship today, creating a sea of humanity for a championship parade and rally that filled Michigan Avenue for blocks.
Of course, by the month of June, two million people congested in such a (relatively) small amount of space can create a lot of body heat (let’s not even think about the horrific smell). The Sun-Times captures the scene with some numbers and scene-setting.
The buses reached the Michigan and Wacker rally site around 11:30 a.m. City officials had said an estimated 350,000 people were expected to attend. Mid-rally, the city changed that number to “over 2 million.”
Fire Dept. spokesman Larry Langford said 125 people were treated for heat problems amid the 80-degree and humid day, and 50 were hospitalized. None of the injuries was said to be serious.
Is this the biggest Cup parade ever? I can’t say for sure, but it certainly beats those New Jersey Devils parking lot celebrations.
More recent Cup parades generated some big numbers, too. The Detroit Red Wings drew 1.4 million fans for their 11th Cup party in 08 while the Pittsburgh Penguins brought in about 375,000 people (impressive for a smaller market) and apparently outdrew the immortal Pittsburgh Steelers’ parade in 09.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)