Jun 11, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Tomas Kaberle has been such a constant source of trade rumors (especially in Toronto) that sometimes I wonder if sports writers just put together stories in a Mad-Libs format at this point.
“Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle is rumored to be traded to (team) for (prospect) + (draft pick) so that the team can clear salary cap space. (Maple Leafs GM) refused to comment on the rumors.”
The big difference now, though, is that Brian Burke is openly courting interested parties for the high-scoring, veteran defenseman. The New York Post reports that the New Jersey Devils are one of the most prominent bidders.
Kaberle, whom general manager Lou Lamoriello could be targeting, has been a regular trade subject in Toronto at the usual deal junctures, but Leafs GM Brian Burke recently circulated an e-mail to other general managers outlining the upcoming window in Kaberle’s no-trade clause.
Kaberle, 32, is to make $4.25 million next season, the last on his deal before he becomes unrestricted in 2011. The Devils will be making a decision on Paul Martin, who becomes unrestricted July 1 after earning $4.5 million last year. One other possibility is Dan Hamhuis, who also becomes unrestricted on July 1.
Many believe the Leafs are willing to trade Kaberle during a window which begins at the draft, two weeks from tomorrow, through July. It’s believed Toronto wants a young regular and a draft pick.
The Devils do not have a first-round pick at this year’s draft, having
dealt it to Atlanta in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade in February. Because of
that deal’s swap of second-round picks, their first selection will be
the 38th overall pick. The lack of a first-round selection could limit
the chances of making such a deal.
With almost $16 million in cap space, might the Devils decide to retain Paul Martin and trade for Kaberle? Martin would give the Devils his typical steady presence while New Jersey hasn’t had a point producing defenseman at Kaberle’s level since Brian Rafalski signed with the Detroit Red Wings.
Either way – depending on the price – the Devils could use a player like Kaberle. We’ll keep you updated regarding this rumor (and the many other whispers) leading up to July 1, when scuttlebutt turns to truth.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)