Jun 11, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Tomas Kaberle has been such a constant source of trade rumors (especially in Toronto) that sometimes I wonder if sports writers just put together stories in a Mad-Libs format at this point.
“Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle is rumored to be traded to (team) for (prospect) + (draft pick) so that the team can clear salary cap space. (Maple Leafs GM) refused to comment on the rumors.”
The big difference now, though, is that Brian Burke is openly courting interested parties for the high-scoring, veteran defenseman. The New York Post reports that the New Jersey Devils are one of the most prominent bidders.
Kaberle, whom general manager Lou Lamoriello could be targeting, has been a regular trade subject in Toronto at the usual deal junctures, but Leafs GM Brian Burke recently circulated an e-mail to other general managers outlining the upcoming window in Kaberle’s no-trade clause.
Kaberle, 32, is to make $4.25 million next season, the last on his deal before he becomes unrestricted in 2011. The Devils will be making a decision on Paul Martin, who becomes unrestricted July 1 after earning $4.5 million last year. One other possibility is Dan Hamhuis, who also becomes unrestricted on July 1.
Many believe the Leafs are willing to trade Kaberle during a window which begins at the draft, two weeks from tomorrow, through July. It’s believed Toronto wants a young regular and a draft pick.
The Devils do not have a first-round pick at this year’s draft, having
dealt it to Atlanta in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade in February. Because of
that deal’s swap of second-round picks, their first selection will be
the 38th overall pick. The lack of a first-round selection could limit
the chances of making such a deal.
With almost $16 million in cap space, might the Devils decide to retain Paul Martin and trade for Kaberle? Martin would give the Devils his typical steady presence while New Jersey hasn’t had a point producing defenseman at Kaberle’s level since Brian Rafalski signed with the Detroit Red Wings.
Either way – depending on the price – the Devils could use a player like Kaberle. We’ll keep you updated regarding this rumor (and the many other whispers) leading up to July 1, when scuttlebutt turns to truth.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)