Jun 11, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the most interesting traditions that take place once a series – or the entire playoffs – ends is the series of stories that trickle through about players fighting through injuries. It’s not surprising to hear that Chicago Blackhawks winger Andrew Ladd was banged up, though, being that he missed the first three games of the Stanley Cup finals.
The winger revealed after the Blackhawks won the title with a 4-3 overtime victory against the Flyers on Wednesday night that the injury that kept him out of the first three games of the finals was a fractured shoulder and torn ligaments.
“It was tough, especially sitting out the first three and not being out there helping,” Ladd told TSN after the game. “I was determined to come back and be a part of it.”
Ladd wasn’t just a roving, wounded body.
He made an impact in the series, most notably when he scored what was almost the Cup-winning goal in Game 6. Ladd deflected a shot from the point to give the Blackhawks a 3-2 lead which, obviously, didn’t stand because Scott Hartnell scored a goal to move the game into overtime.
Something tells me his shoulder felt OK when he was lifting up the Stanley Cup, though.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)