Jun 11, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the most interesting traditions that take place once a series – or the entire playoffs – ends is the series of stories that trickle through about players fighting through injuries. It’s not surprising to hear that Chicago Blackhawks winger Andrew Ladd was banged up, though, being that he missed the first three games of the Stanley Cup finals.
The winger revealed after the Blackhawks won the title with a 4-3 overtime victory against the Flyers on Wednesday night that the injury that kept him out of the first three games of the finals was a fractured shoulder and torn ligaments.
“It was tough, especially sitting out the first three and not being out there helping,” Ladd told TSN after the game. “I was determined to come back and be a part of it.”
Ladd wasn’t just a roving, wounded body.
He made an impact in the series, most notably when he scored what was almost the Cup-winning goal in Game 6. Ladd deflected a shot from the point to give the Blackhawks a 3-2 lead which, obviously, didn’t stand because Scott Hartnell scored a goal to move the game into overtime.
Something tells me his shoulder felt OK when he was lifting up the Stanley Cup, though.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)