Jun 10, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Guy Boucher had the chance to coach the Columbus Blue Jackets, yet
turned them down. Some thought that perhaps the Montreal Canadiens had
coaxed him to stay within the organization. Turns out, he had a chance
to go to another beleaguered team except this one was being managed by
Today, the Tampa Bay Lightning formally announced
Boucher as their new head coach. An ownership change, a new general
manager and a new young, innovative coach and suddenly things are
looking much brighter down in Florida.
“I’m certainly looking forward to building a culture as Steve says,”
Boucher said. “We’ve got a lot of building blocks.”
introduced Boucher as “a very confident and very strong leader.”
very confident he is the right leader to build a strong environment for
our organization,” Yzerman said.
Here is where the most important part of the press conference was to
me, when Boucher started talking about his system and his coaching
philosophy. Many people were wringing their hands about Boucher’s system
and if it would fit in Columbus with the players they had there. Same
thing with Tampa Bay; would Boucher’s innovative system work with these
Turns out he’s not thinking about his system:
“I’m not coaching systems. I’m coaching players, managing
he said. “My system is different every year.”
I wish more coaches were like this. Stop trying to force players to
fit into the system you want to have and mold your system to fit the
players that are in place.
Over time, build the team how you want but don’t go forcing anything
in your first season with the players.
I’m looking at you, Marc Crawford.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 19
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 10
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 35
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37