Jun 10, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Guy Boucher had the chance to coach the Columbus Blue Jackets, yet
turned them down. Some thought that perhaps the Montreal Canadiens had
coaxed him to stay within the organization. Turns out, he had a chance
to go to another beleaguered team except this one was being managed by
Today, the Tampa Bay Lightning formally announced
Boucher as their new head coach. An ownership change, a new general
manager and a new young, innovative coach and suddenly things are
looking much brighter down in Florida.
“I’m certainly looking forward to building a culture as Steve says,”
Boucher said. “We’ve got a lot of building blocks.”
introduced Boucher as “a very confident and very strong leader.”
very confident he is the right leader to build a strong environment for
our organization,” Yzerman said.
Here is where the most important part of the press conference was to
me, when Boucher started talking about his system and his coaching
philosophy. Many people were wringing their hands about Boucher’s system
and if it would fit in Columbus with the players they had there. Same
thing with Tampa Bay; would Boucher’s innovative system work with these
Turns out he’s not thinking about his system:
“I’m not coaching systems. I’m coaching players, managing
he said. “My system is different every year.”
I wish more coaches were like this. Stop trying to force players to
fit into the system you want to have and mold your system to fit the
players that are in place.
Over time, build the team how you want but don’t go forcing anything
in your first season with the players.
I’m looking at you, Marc Crawford.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6